Pay Per Bird (Turkey)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, Sep 16, 2011.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So I was just at a market selling eggs, chickens and some of my turkeys. And I had a new customer come up and give snide remark about my turkeys being $72 or more. So I broke it down to the customer like this:

Say for generally speaking all turkeys are 18 lbs. = $72

Cost of turkey poult = $4.54 per

Turkey eats on the high end 80 lbs of feed per bird
    Cost per pound is say $0.23 so roughly $18.46
    Now I have to have them processed in the State of WI to sell at a farmers market. $4 a
    So right there you are at $27

So lets say on the long side the Turkey is alive 120 days = 16 weeks. That means that you take that $27 out of the $72 and I make $45. So lets take that $45 and spread that over 120 days. That is $0.37per day I am making per turkey. Now that does not include the heat/electric for the brooder, water for brooder and pasture, gas and time traveling to the processors.

So tell me am I still charging to much?

That is when they made a sigh and walked away. I swear I just want to smack some people.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Why ya gotta be so greedy man? You should be selling them at a loss so your price compares to Wal-Mart. LOL
    I know it's disheartening to have someone question your pricing like that. I get the same responce from people about my chickens, and at first it makes you think (or at least me), "Am I out of line here?", but some people just don't understand. I'm selling my turkeys for $3.50/lb this year, and I am having a hard time selling them. Worst thing is they are heritage breeds, so I got them at the end of April and will not butcher them until b4 Thanksgiving, so based on your numbers I only making 21 cents per day.

Don't let it bother you. Did you sell any to anyone else?

3. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Hey Bigred,

I do sell by word of mouth but even that has been terrible this year. And also, I sell at the farm which is like a petting zoo that schools pay admission to, pumpkin picking and so on. familyfarm.net My deal with them is anything sold on farm or at markets we split 50/50. But anything the farm can't store and I have to store I get 100%. Has worked out good for both of us for the most part.

Last time this year I was sold out of turkeys. This year only about 50% are sold and it is the same price as last year.
    But even this year I am having a hard time selling broilers which is odd.

I am taking my next batch of stuff to processor this week:
    25 broilers
    25 BBB
    35 Rabbits

So most is going in my freezer for selling to friends. Being broken out like this

10 whole chickens
    15 chickens (Smoked Breasts)
    Legs in 6 packs.
    Thighs (See turkeys)

6 whole Turkeys
    6 Ground Turkeys (All white meat and thigh meat , including chicken thigh meat) Selling 2# tubes for $16.50 each 6 tube gone already
    7 Smoked (Breast meat only, thighs being added to ground)

And I plan on smoking 5 or 6 rabbits.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:After I get done butchering chickens tomorrow morning, I have 6 rabbits to butcher. I've never tried smoking one. I assume they're good? Don't they get dry? Do you brine or rub them?

I have never eaten a hertiage breed turkey, but I'm told they're really good, so even if I don't sell them, I'm sure they will go to good use. May have to buy another deep freeze or can some of it.

Goodluck with future sales!

5. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I will let you know. I have never tried smoked rabbit either. But if it is dry I can always warm up in some type of savory sauce. The smokiness will just enhance the flavor.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    [[[[....... I was sold out of turkeys. This year only about 50% are sold......]]]]

Couple of thoughts here. The economy is bad, so people have less money for luxuries. So that might be it. However, I suspect that perhaps your birds didn't meet expectations. You should be having a huge number of repeat buyers and it appears you aren't. The main reason for that is that they didn't like the bird they bought from you.

I hope I am wrong and people are simply putting the purchase off to the last second.

One more possibility. You say you are selling through someone else's farm? Are they selling birds from another producer, too? If so, maybe the other birds aren't good and customers have been turned off and are going elsewhere to buy.

7. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    It could be the combination of the two....the price in a down economy not being worth the product they are getting regardless of who raised it.

8. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I would hold firm with the pricing, any less and you are just paying for feed.

9. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    This is my first year at trying turkeys..... I sent out texts to everyone I know....got a few responses back on "how much?"...... Well, wasn't too sure so I said $2 - $2.50/lb dressed?!? ... out of ALL those people.....only ONE person said they'd buy.

Now I realize how much these things cost to raise and realize that I should be charging more.... however, if that low ball price only got one sale then doubling it would do nothing.

This economy sucks.

I'll be rethinking my whole plan for next year.....

~Tammy

10. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    My dad taught me something long ago, that seems to apply here...."If you want to make one million dollars in the [insert livestock or crop] business, you need to start with two million dollars."

Sorry your turkey sales aren't going well - I hope they pick up soon. Stick to your guns - you're selling a quality product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by