Paying for pallets?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mattemma, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I saw a post on craigs for free pallets.30 of them. Since all I have is a car I emailed about a delivery cost. It would be $50 to my house for the 30 pallets.Most are 3x6 feet in size. I hate to pay $50,but at the same time I am thinking I doubt I could even fit one pallet in the car.Plus,you can not buy to much wood for $50.Could I even build(or come close to build) a coop(for 8) with 30 pallets? I already got free windows and a door off craigs.
    Is this worth it?

I really need to build sometihing in the far back yard,because the flies are out of control in the area by my(and neighbors) homes just from the pooping in the yard.

2. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    do you have a friend with a truck

3. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Uhaul is only $20/day

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    No one with a truck.Uhaul is an option if I can leave my car where I get the truck.Will be a bit hard though with 3 kids in tow. I do wish they would just charge $10 for gas,lol!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:That's a good idea.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yes, you should be able to leave your car right where you pick up the truck. How old are your kids? I'm not sure how many seat belts are in the front seat of the truck. I'm not sure they have back seats? How far away are the pallets? With the price of gas, this person would have to be a saint or REALLY nice to deliver for $10.00. lol

7. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    My husband does deliveries for items sold at the store I work at. The usual fee is about $50/close to store deliveries. That is a fair price. Got to figure, he has to drive there, (gas and time), get loaded up (time), and then strap it all down for security and safety issues(time), and then drive to you (gas and time), and unload it (time), get back home (gas and time). My husband usually spends at least an hour on close to store deliveries (within a few miles). More if it's farther away,and then the price goes up.

I say Uhaul sounds like your best bet.

8. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    U haul is only $19.95 a day... PLUS $0.59 a mile, plus gas. How far away are the pallets? $50 for 30 pallets is $1.67 per pallet. Ask if you go and load and unload the pallets if you could get a discount on delivery. You could build a very nice coop with those pallets.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  9. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    we built our coop using pallets, so yes it can be done! you will need a few 2x4's for framing. DH took all the pallets apart and used the wood like siding, turned out pretty cute if i do say so! ours is 4x8. good luck!!

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Thirty- 3' x 6' pallets, loaded, delivered and unloaded at your location for $50.00? I'd say get them! And hurry! [​IMG]

BTW, a coop isn't really going to solve the problem of poop and flies in the yard. What you need is a kid with a sprayer hose on poop patrol! [​IMG] It'll fertilize the yard quite well when watered in.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by