1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Paying Homage? --Anyone heard of this before??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeanHen, Feb 28, 2016.

1. BeanHen

BeanHen Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    So we lost our matriarch of the flock last night to old age (6-7+ years old, BLW). :hit We'll miss her.

But when I went to get eggs just now, 6 of the 8 were in the nest box she was found in this morning.
    This wouldn't be too strange (I mean, it was a nest box, for crying out loud), except for the fact that this box --to date-- has been the hens' least favorite. I've never collected eggs out of this one --except for today.

And to boot, the nest was comically, and perfectly round.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Do I dare get all sentimental and believe that the flock are acknowledging her (I know they're just chickens...but still)? Does anyone know if this behavior can be explained?

I know it's probably just a coincidence, but still --she was the alpha hen for the entire time we had her (4-5 years).

Thanks,
    BeanHen

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have seen my chickens become depressed when they lose a friend or favorite member. It can be hard to say how deep their emotions run. Most will be depressed for about 1-2 months, occasionally longer. Chickens do form some tight bonds.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

That is strange.
    Was dead bird found and removed in the morning before laying commenced for the day?
    Could be because she was in the nest, the rest decided that was good place to lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by