1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PayPal Debit card???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pamperedpoultry, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Does anyone have a paypal debit card?? I just applied form mine I figured it would be easier to use to pay for my feed and shipping that way instead of waiting the 2 or 3 days for the money to be transfered to my account. Is there any hidden fee's or anything like that. I'd like to here some pro's and con's on this??

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Hmmm. I had never thought about using the PayPal Debit card like that.

I'll be watching this thread for others experiences...

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I LOVE mine! There are no fees, and you earn cash back when you use it as a debit. It takes a couple days sometimes to hit your back-up funding (bank) if you don't have anything in your account. I've actually used it for an emergency "float" a couple times.
    AND- if your back-up happens to be short, Paypal doesn't charge you. They let you know, and re-try in 3 days. It'ssaved my butt a few times.

I like it also because I can see all of my "business" stuff really easily.

4. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:Great!! sounds like its a good thing. Do you use yours as a Debit or a credit??
    I'd like to have an extra card, My DH picks up my feed and sometimes along with my mom will take my eggs to the PO. It would be handy expecially if DH was picking up feed from work and I was taking eggs to work on the same day.. Wonder if you can get an extra card??

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yep- I got my husband his own card in case he needs gas or something.

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have one and I use it to pay for feed and so fourth, it works just like any other card. The only incident I have had was when I tried to get cash one time from an atm. The atm screen said there was an error. It didn't give me any money and the receipts also show no money was dispensed. When I got back home to check my account the money was taken. It took me 2 weeks to get my money back into my account.
    Come to find out it was the banks fault...something about their phone had been reset and it wasn't dialing out correctly. I do believe it was just one of the freak things that happen.
    You will like using it, it is very convenient .

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh- and you can use it debit or credit. If you use your pin you earn a few cents. Make sure you set your back-up funding as high as you might need it. I think I have mine at $400, so I can go $400 over my paypal balance and be good, as long as older transactions have cleared.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have one and I love it!

I get cash back using it as a credit card and it comes in handy for mailing stuff I have sold whenI have to go to the PO.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yep, I've had one for a while now. I've not used it as an ATM card, but it works just fine as a debit/credit card. I got mine for 2 reasons: 1 being that I hated waiting 3-5 days for my $5.27 to hit the bank [​IMG], and 2 because I have a savings account at my bank, so no ATM/debit card from them. Plus if I got a checking account, my bank requires an application be filled out for the ATM/debit cards, and there's no guarantee that it will be accepted. Plus, my savings account charges $1 for every withdrawal over 3 in a 3 month period, unless they are electronic funds transfers [​IMG] So I basically have the accessibility of a checking with the perks of a savings [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    IS this like an actual credit card?? Do you have to get approved? I'm confused...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by