PB&J to chickens as treat??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicktwins, Dec 21, 2011.

1. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    For the last 2 days my daughter has decided she no longer likes PB&J sandwiches in her lunch. Could I feed these to my chickens as a treat? I would hate to waste a yummy snack for the ladies and their man!!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The sandwiches would be fine. People forget that chickens aer really scavengers. They can and will eat almost anything. There are a few things that aren't good for them, but not many.

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    While I bet they would be fine, I'd worry they could choke or even get a glob on their bill, try to wipe it off, and get PB packed in nostril hole, etc. I'd whack up the sandwich and toss into the blender with yogurt or something to feed to mine.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Peanut butter by itself wouldn't be good, but spread on bread is ok. If it is spread thickly I'd remove the excess.

Just my opinion!

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I'd just throw them out there as is. They will take care of the rest.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't see why not. I've thrown out an uneaten grilled cheese and they ate it up. No issues. Not saying either is 'good' for them, but it isn't terrible as a treat. [​IMG]

7. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks for the replies!!! I will probably try it tomorrow and let you all know how it went.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by