PB Pig Teeth...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MrsKemmerlin, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    So my little guy will be 2 years old on October 17th, this year. He had his tusks trimmed just after he was born and I was wondering if more than just the inital trim is done on any of your PBs? His bottom teeth have all of a sudden, like past couple months, increased greatly in size... any suggestions? Is is possible for them to trim his chompers?

2. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I take mine to the vet for this. Not a problem.

3. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    My PBP will be two I September, and his teeth are not too big. He never grew tusks, did you have him neutered? Mine is, and he doesn't seem to be growing tusks.

Question for fellow piggy owners, my vet advised on waiting to have his hooves trimmed, as ne needs to put him under anesthesia for the procedure, but my little guy is starting to trip over his long hooves. A few chipped, making them a more appropriate length, and then I attempted to file the longer ones down a bit. I know most piggies hate having their feet touched, but Harley doesn't seem to mind. Any thoughts about hooves would be much appreciated. Your thoughts, or that of your vets.

Thanks!

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    As far as the hooves, I just trimmed my 6 mos. old pots hooves yesterday. It wasn't easy (she isn't too fond of human contact), but I did get it done and only trimmed 2 a little short, and had to put Blue Kote on them.

5. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I used to work on a pig farm, and we would trim the teeth as well as neutering the boys. If the pigs were breeders, then they would need there teeth trimmed later on. If your pig is neutered, his teeth shouldn't grow so much as an intact animal

6. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:That's what I thought! He was neutered before we got him, and I was always under the impression that his teeth would not grow as big. It certainly was an interesting experience when he started losing his baby teeth! He is a "house pig" and he tended to lose the teeth while eating, and the tooth would cling around in his metal food dish. He is such a friendly pig, he loves people, when he is out and about on walks, or other places. But man is he territorial in the house! He does not like it when people come into his "space" a.k.a., the kitchen! But we are working on getting him to be more welcoming to house guests! Thanks for the reply!

7. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    But just because he is neutered, doesn't mean his teeth will stop growing,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by