PBR, Asian Black, Mystery Chic - Gender thoughts?

MrLeeHo

Songster
May 28, 2020
NC
Hi all,
We have 3 new chicks. They are somewhere between 5-6 weeks old as best I know. They were sold as pullets but were also sold as a PBR and 2 Asian Blacks. I am failry certain the third chic is some other breed bc she has an extra toe and black legs. Considering the breed seeming to be wrong I am now starting to get a bit of anxiety around gender. Please let me know your thoughts. The second chic is quite a bit larger than the other 2 but always has been so i believe she may a be a week or so older than the other two. The second one also seems to have some red leakage coming in around her neck and back if that means anything.
Barred 1.jpg
Barred 2.jpg
Big Black 1.jpg
Big Black 2.jpg
Black legs 1.jpg
Black legs 2.jpg

I got 4 hens last year from a big farm.. they were Black Silkie x (BA x Svort Hona) and all of them have that extra toe in the back in spite of their size. The 4 toe seems to go even to the 3rd generation from what I'm seeing.

They're too young to sex accurately, but I will say the Barred Rock is looking cockerel-like with the light barring and comb size and one of the Asian Blacks is also looking suspicious. Time will tell :)
Thanks for the input, i know it is a bit early but i can't resist asking. I really hope you are wrong. I know sexing from a hatchery isn't 100% but for 2 of 3 to be cockerels would be quite disapointing...and i was under the impression after doing some research that the PBR would be one of the more accurately sexed chicks. :confused:

Thanks for the input, i know it is a bit early but i can't resist asking. I really hope you are wrong. I know sexing from a hatchery isn't 100% but for 2 of 3 to be cockerels would be quite disapointing...and i was under the impression after doing some research that the PBR would be one of the more accurately sexed chicks. :confused:
Depends on the hatchery and where you got them from (if not directly from the hatchery) Last year I bought 3 BR pullets, and they all turned out to be cockerels. (A TSC purchase btw). This year I was in the store and they had a plaque that said.. AMERAUCANA pullets. So I bought 2, and went to the store site to look at ordering some more. Hoover Hatchery isn't selling those, but AMERACANAS.. And I double checked to make sure there was a U in the label..

Back
Top Bottom