PBR or BSL- cockerel or pullet

Renee572

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
It's 10 weeks old and I've heard a few noises from it that I wondered are "him" trying to crow. But I have only had chickens for about 10 months and no prior experience with them before so I could totally be wrong. From what I've read Barred Rock hens are darker with dark legs but this one looks dark to me with light legs so I'm confused. Then I read a BSL cockerel could look like a BR hen. Please help!!

Sure looks like a barred rock hen to me. At 10 weeks a roo would have a much bigger and darker comb.
I hope you are right, however I had 2 other Barred Rocks who definitely turned out to be pullets and at 10 weeks their combs/wattles were much smaller and still yellow whereas this one has a rather pink/red comb and wattles. Here is a picture of the 2 other barred rocks at that age. Not the best picture but you can tell their combs are still yellow and they don't even appear to have wattles yet. So if you think my current 10 week old is a BR hen then do you think she is just maturing early?

I'm thinking cockerel on the Barred Rock.
Do you think cockerel because of its comb and wattles or the way it holds itself or both? I really hope it a pullet but I'm kinda thinking I'm in for a disappointment because I won't be able to keep it if its a roo.

Given the lighter barring and what appears to me to be pointed sickle and hackle feathers coming in, I'd say it's a cockerel. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong and it turns out to be a pullet.

Given the lighter barring and what appears to me to be pointed sickle and hackle feathers coming in, I'd say it's a cockerel. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong and it turns out to be a pullet.

Thanks, I was starting to look up feathers because that was also another thing I was thinking my hens did not look like this one. I do hope its not a cockerel but in case I am already telling myself it is so I don't get attached. If it turns out to be a pullet it will be a happy surprise. When do you think I will be hearing a crow from this one if it turns out to be a roo?

This morning I heard some squawking at about 6am, my girls usually are not noisy that early but I thought maybe one decided to lay really early this morning. When I went to go feed and water them this morning I was taken back in the fact that there wasn't an egg in the nest box. My room is quite a distance from the coop outside so what I heard may not have even been the girls but rather this one trying to crow.

Last edited:
Took this picture just today at 10 weeks. The other pictures were at 9 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom