PDZ alternative?

What are you usiing it for? Maybe sand or pine shavings, maybe with a little pelletized lime thrown around every couple of weeks or so.

I don't think there is a repacement for the deodorizing quality. You could use sand if you need something granular. Otherwise wood chips, shavings, leaves, pine needles are all free if you have them available.

I mix Sweet PDZ with construction sand in my coop. Just looking for a cheaper alternative for absorption and odor control

Eventually the amount of pulverized feces in the sand will overwhelm the effectiveness of the PDZ, and I think the PDZ does have an absorption limit.

A half inch layer of PDZ and sand on a roost board (sifted clear every other day or so and sent to compost)
and pine shavings on the coop floor(totally changed out twice a year and sent to compost) is a much more economical and odor free way to go in the long run.

I've been wondering the same thing about PDZ, surely there's a cheaper product out there. I finally found a 40 pound bag at a local feed store for $14. I've been paying $9 at TSC for the 25 pound bag.

Just wondering if the sand mixed in would be too heavy for the poop board? Sand in small bags doesn't go very far and a full load where I live is not cheap and you have to have a place for the truck to dump it. Anyway, I'm open for new ideas, too!

I've been wondering the same thing about PDZ, surely there's a cheaper product out there. I finally found a 40 pound bag at a local feed store for $14. I've been paying $9 at TSC for the 25 pound bag.

Just wondering if the sand mixed in would be too heavy for the poop board? Sand in small bags doesn't go very far and a full load where I live is not cheap and you have to have a place for the truck to dump it. Anyway, I'm open for new ideas, too!
Depends on how your board is constructed and supported.
I only use the sand/PDZ mix about a half inch deep, so it's not that heavy.
The sand I use is clean kiln dried bagged sand...bought for making concrete sculpture $4 for 50 lbs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom