PDZ alternative?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Davidhalpern2, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    sweet PDZ is getting expensive! Any one know of a more cost effective alternative?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What are you usiing it for? Maybe sand or pine shavings, maybe with a little pelletized lime thrown around every couple of weeks or so.

3. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I don't think there is a repacement for the deodorizing quality. You could use sand if you need something granular. Otherwise wood chips, shavings, leaves, pine needles are all free if you have them available.

4. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    I mix Sweet PDZ with construction sand in my coop. Just looking for a cheaper alternative for absorption and odor control

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Eventually the amount of pulverized feces in the sand will overwhelm the effectiveness of the PDZ, and I think the PDZ does have an absorption limit.

A half inch layer of PDZ and sand on a roost board (sifted clear every other day or so and sent to compost)
    and pine shavings on the coop floor(totally changed out twice a year and sent to compost) is a much more economical and odor free way to go in the long run.

6. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been wondering the same thing about PDZ, surely there's a cheaper product out there. I finally found a 40 pound bag at a local feed store for $14. I've been paying $9 at TSC for the 25 pound bag.

Just wondering if the sand mixed in would be too heavy for the poop board? Sand in small bags doesn't go very far and a full load where I live is not cheap and you have to have a place for the truck to dump it. Anyway, I'm open for new ideas, too!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depends on how your board is constructed and supported.
    I only use the sand/PDZ mix about a half inch deep, so it's not that heavy.
    The sand I use is clean kiln dried bagged sand...bought for making concrete sculpture $4 for 50 lbs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by