1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PDZ in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ourltlflock, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ourltlflock

ourltlflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    So my chicks are 2 wks old now, can I use the Sweet PDZ in the brooder instead of the shavings? Seems like it would be easier to clean and not so smelly. Adding it to the shavings doesn't seem to make sense to me. Like all the PDZ would be under the shavings and still hard to clean.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I used paper towels and puppy pads for the first 3 days,
    then I used a mix of Quikcrete fine white sand with some pdz mixed in for brooder bedding.

It worked great for the 3 weeks I had the chicks (I hatched some out for someone else).

Was easy to sift clean once a day with a fine metal mesh organizer basket.

3. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I would not use anything with very fine dusty particles for bedding. I had a very bad experience using sand with chicks. They started making wheezing sounds when they breathed after being on it for about 3 days. I'll only be using pine shavings from now on...

4. ourltlflock

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I thought the PDZ wasn't dusty..?

5. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I know there are two different kinds, I have the powder, which is very fine and dusty. I don't have experience using that as substrate, but I personally will not use sand after my bad experience.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You definitely want the granular PDZ, not the powdered...and a non dusty sand.
    The Quikcrete fine white is actually fairly coarse and clean(not dusty).

Course once they start shedding feather sheaths at about 2 weeks everything gets really dusty!

I decided to try it in the brooder after using it on the roost boards in the coop and doing a little research:

advanced search>titles only>sand in brooder

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  7. ourltlflock

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Thanks aart! Usually I'm pretty good at the search, apparently not this time, lol. I really didn't think of sand (duh) in the brooder.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You're welcome...searching here is difficult, hard to find hard info amid all the chat.

Using the advanced search with 'titles only' radio button clicked I've found to be the most direct, still have to sift the chaff from the wheat by reading thru a lot to threads.

9. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Maybe I will look into that sometime. Just stay clear of Menard's "white play sand". :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by