1. Chickibaby

Chickibaby New Egg

Nov 3, 2008
    My sweet hubby built a predator free chicken run. It also makes it people free. Meaning I can't get in and shovel anything out. Northwest rains are starting to make quite stinky puddles. Any Ideas?[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah I have a suggestion! Tell your husband to figure it out and let you know once he has!![​IMG]

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I think you may need to tweak the originial design some to be able to clean the run out.

Maybe some other folks have a better Idea?

bigzio

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    let hubby clean it out, he will come up with a better idea..

.jiminwisc...

5. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    In the pacific northwest, it will need to be fixed so you can clean it and then covered to keep off the rain. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

6. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    maybe a ladder to get in though you would have to cut the netting or whatever you have topping you cage though i would hate to try luge poo out that way

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I live in Florida. We have a rainy season here too. I have my run covered. I don't know what you have on the bottom, but I have sand in mine. Maybe the other post have some good suggestions, let DH clean out the run. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    uh-oh, chickibaby! People are going to think you are me - or vice versa! And with my reputation . . . What have we done?!

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    [​IMG] fellow PNW resident here!

1. cover the run - it'll make the girls happier to have a dry place outside. We just covered ours with a clear shower curtain over the weekend. I poked a few hole sin it to let the rain through it = sorta counter productive but it does give the girls more space. It's not perfect but at least it's not a blue tarp.

2. figure out a way to get into the run area. You're going to have to clean it from time to time: raking, adding sand & DE & leaves (or whatever), etc. It'll just be better to set it up to be able to get into it.

Glad to have you on BYC!

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Sweet Barn Lime works wonders on smell. If you can figure a way to get it in there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by