Pea chick hatched July 17, 2014/Color?/Gender?

seabreeze

Songster
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Scio, OR
The hen is white and we believe the cock to be our purple black shoulder (???) and not our India blue. The Purple though smaller is very dominant over the blue and chased him away this breeding season, hence we think its our purple cock as sire. (our peafowl are free range). We did coop the hen once she hatched the chicks.

What color will the baby be and do you think its a cock or hen? I am guessing cock but what do I know ROFL

Also going to put in a couple pics of hen and cock, parents.

If that Purple male is split BS, is it possible that the chick could be split BS as well or not? I would have thought it was possible, but I'm no expert.

If he were split BS the chick could be split BS but neither of those birds are BS or split BS. The black coloration at the outer part of the wing is normal. It would have to extend to the shoulders like the pictures New 2 Pfowl posted to be split BS.

Congratulations - cute baby! And lovely parents too!

Are those question marks because you're not sure he's the poppa or you're not sure he's BS?
Just asking because neither of your big boys are visually black shoulders.
Your purple fella seems to have very pale wing barring - or is that just the lighting?
And are you sure he's purple? Not my department but he looks pretty blue.

I do think your little guy is a guy! I have no experience with purple so I'll leave the question of his color to others.

Last edited:
Oh, I am sorry about that. I completely missed you were showing both males. No, nether is black shoulder. The chick would not be split BS.

If that Purple male is split BS, is it possible that the chick could be split BS as well or not? I would have thought it was possible, but I'm no expert.

Hi…I'm pretty sure the one cock is a purple black shoulder…that is what I was told when I bought from a peafowl farm in the midwest. Here is a better pic of him compared to the India blue. You can see he is definitely purple necked.

I am curious, is he NOT a black shoulder?

Many thanks!

Hi…I'm pretty sure the one cock is a purple black shoulder…that is what I was told when I bought from a peafowl farm in the midwest. Here is a better pic of him compared to the India blue. You can see he is definitely purple necked.

Many thanks!

Definitely not a BS. He looks purple, but those stripes on the lighter wing feathers mean he's no BS.

Many thanks!

I've got a "black shoulder" male that has the same coloring as yours, I bought him as a young chick either purple bs or just bs, don't remember which, but as a chick was colored as a bs. He's 2 this year and looks like yours, 1/2 black shoulder. A new twist on split BS?

Back
Top Bottom