Pea Chick with Eye Problem

Cindysid

Songster
Feb 20, 2010
When I was looking over the chicks this morning I noticed that this one has eye problems. He has what looks to be discharge below each eye. His eyes also look a little misshapen. He seems to be able to see just fine. I don't know if the other chicks have been picking at him, (he is the only white chick). I don't really think so, but can't be sure. I tried separating him from the rest and he raised all holy hell so I put him back. I used the corner of a warm wet washcloth to try to remove the discharge, but it is hard and dry, and his skin is so delicate, I'm afraid to mess with them too much. I applied a tiny bit of TobraDex salve to each eye. Has anyone seen this sort of problem before? I want to do everything I can for this baby. I took some pics but they are so out of focus, I don't know if they will help much. I will get Hubby to hold him tomorrow so that I can get better pics.

Poor thing. They may be picking on him. Try warm compresses two or three times a day.

Edit again: It could be eyeworm. I'd use warm compresses, a saline flush, and then VetRx twice a day. If that doesn't work within a few days start treating for an eye infection.

Last edited:
Poor thing. They may be picking on him. Try warm compresses two or three times a day.

Edit again: It could be eyeworm. I'd use warm compresses, a saline flush, and then VetRx twice a day. If that doesn't work within a few days start treating for an eye infection.

I don't think it's eyeworm. He is getting much better. I isolated him from the others for a day and he refused to eat. I put him back in and have continued antibiotic salve. He seems much improved.

Wel that's good news! Hoping he continues to get better!
smile.png
His eyes are completely well now, thank goodness
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom