Pea Comb & Blue Egg Gene

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by PippinChicken, Mar 22, 2018.

1. PippinChicken

PippinChicken Chirping

Oct 28, 2017
    I just hatched some Olive Eggers (Ameraucana x Marans, variety of generations and back crosses) and don't have any interest in keeping ones who will end up laying brown eggs. I read that in Ameraucana based Olive Eggers, if they have a pea comb then they also have the blue egg gene. Is this true 100% of the time? I wouldn't want to prematurely get rid of anyone based on comb type!

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I would not bet any money on it. Egg genes and comb genes are two entirely different things.

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Free Ranging

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Agreed. I have both single and pea combed chickens that lay blue and green eggs.

4. PippinChicken

PippinChicken Chirping

Oct 28, 2017
    That's interesting, are they Ameraucana crosses or from a single combed blue layer? The explanations I'd read were that while they are obviously different genes, in Ameraucanas they are very closely linked so it's unlikely for the offspring to inherit one without the other. But even if that is accurate, I've got no idea how the varying generations and back crosses may change things :idunno

5. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    They are not linked. They both just happen to be dominant genes meaning that it only takes the presence of one copy of the gene for the trait to be displayed.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Free Ranging

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    They are mixes of mixes. I live in South America - Brazil - and it is very hard to find purebreds (of any breed).

Here's one of my hens, single combed and lays beautiful blue eggs. I am currently doing some breeding for egg color, one of her daughters is pea combed and lays very nice blue eggs as well.

IMG_8500.JPG

Trish1974 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: