pea egg

racepondUSA

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Racepond
i got a pea egg this morning from my oldest peahen i thought it was to early for her to start laying wat should i do with it i havent touched it yet i but shold i make her a box to go in to lay eggs or just let her lay her eggs were she wants

I made boxes for mine but, they never used them. They always laid the eggs wherever they wanted. Peafowl are all different. Some lay sooner than others and some lay later in the year for others. But if your male hasn't started getting his train in yet or hasn't been displaying for her then the eggs are unlikely to be fertile.

the male that is with her has been displaying for a few weeks now
69763_animals_023.jpg

Pretty boy! Well if you want to you can build them a nest box, which you don't really have to do since the peahen will make a depression in the ground to lay the eggs. A good trick I tried last year that does seem to work pretty well is using fake eggs in the nest box or anywere you want her to lay. You can get fake eggs at Michel's craft store, we stained ours with coffee to give it that light tan color. That is only if you want to control were she lays, but you can just leave it up to her.

Last year I had to use the fake eggs because my peahen didn't create a nest. She was laying eggs here and there so I put all the real eggs were I wanted her to lay and also placed the fake eggs for extra encouragement. It worked! She made a nest there and stopped laying all over the place. This year my dad wants to make several nest boxes, so I will be sure to put the fake eggs in them in hopes that they will actually use the nest boxes instead of us spending all that time making boxes to find out they are just laying in the dirt.
roll.png

Quote:
Same here. I'm in West Central FL. My male is displaying, calling, acting hyper, and one of the females is digging out a trench, same spot she hatched them last year. Won't be surprised if I get eggs soon.

We just had another snow storm here in Southern Oklahoma to early here for peafowl eggs usually around April when they start in our area it's so cold even all our chickens stopped laying eggs.

Steve

i live here in north central florida and i thought the weather was bad here but my sister lives in tishomingo oklahoma after i talked to her the weather here seems really nice

Quote:
after i talked to her the weather here seems really nice

Your sister lives about 21 miles north of us, we live in Little City, OK just outside of Madill. The weather man says we are going to get more snow and ice tomorrow and Wednesday this stuff needs to go away so I can start getting eggs again.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom