Pea Gravel in Duck Run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Doulos, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Doulos

Doulos Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    I am trying to decide whether or not I should completely cover my duck run in pea gravel (smooth) or if I should leave a patch of dirt. The run is about 120 Sq feet, and there will be 8 ducks, with a small pool. They will be able to free range in my yard a few hours a day, when I'm at home. Have others had good luck with pea gravel? I'm concerned about bumble foot, but I read another thread where several liked it.

[​IMG]]

[​IMG]]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have pea gravel under the swim pans, the rest is a nice compost of duck manure and chopped straw, leaves, etc. That provides an area the ducks can hunt for worms and other things - also makes for nice nap space.

1 person likes this.
  3. Doulos

Feb 4, 2016
    @Amiga , right now, the pen is about 75% gravel, with a small pool. I just worry that this will be too hard on their feet.

Does anyone else use all or mostly pea gravel without problems?

4. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    isn't 10x12 too small for 8 ducks?

5. Doulos

Feb 4, 2016
    That should be 15 sq. feet per bird. They will be allowed outside a couple hours per day. I read anywhere from 10-25 square feet. Maybe I can add on some more later if it proves to be too small.

But do you have any thoughts on pea gravel?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I have half pea gravel half deep litter in my run. The pea gravel is nice in summer when you can spray it off easily. It's a bit of a pain in winter when it's too cold to spray down. It's nice around their "pool." I haven't had any problems with their feet. But I was in there today cleaning and thinking about expanding the deep litter part. I prefer the deep litter but it it wouldn't work around a lot of water.

1 person likes this.
  7. Doulos

Feb 4, 2016
    I'm glad you've had good luck with it. I will have to read into this deep litter/compost thing. Luckily, I'm pretty far south, so winters are mild and there's never more than a day or two when it doesn't get above freezing. I'm very new to all this, and it worries me every day. I have a midterm exam I should be studying for right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by