Pea Gravel in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LizGled628, Jun 10, 2011.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Hello,

I have five hens (hatched last spring) that free range throughout my yard. Because they are out most of the day, their run is relatively small, and is difficult to clean. It's just dirt at the moment, but we are expanding it this weekend. I was wondering if it's advisable to use pea gravel? I know that people with ducks often do it (I have two ducklings in the brooder right now...so cute!) and swear by the ease of cleaning it. Any suggestions?

2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    That is what I am doing. I see you are in Rhode Island so you probably have the same kind of weather as I do in CT: when it rains, there is a lot of it! Pea gravel is great for drainage and it seems like it will be easy to clean, plus it is relatively inexpensive, especially if you get it from a gravel company. [​IMG]

3. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Seriously, the rain these last few years has been brutal! I'm sure the ducks will like the mud [​IMG] Good to know someone close by is using it too! Thanks!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have a mixture of pea gravel and coarse sand in my bantam run - I love it! I'm not sure how I'd like pea gravel alone, because I like the fact that droppings clump up and dry quickly with the sand mixture - like scoopable cat litter in a way...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by