1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pea Gravel & Sand specs for coop?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by handsomecock, Oct 11, 2013.

1. handsomecock

handsomecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Is there any type of sand or gravel that I should stay away from? Me and my buddy are building the coop this weekend and all we come across in our area is concrete sand which has minute pieces of pea gravel. Can we use this? We plan on layering the run with a layer of thick gravel, then some DE and then sand.

2. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    I wouldn't if its got any thing else in it. Take a bucket of it. Add water and stir. Let it sit a few hours-if it hardened, don't use it.

Usually river silt and builders/play sand is available for cheap at Plant Nurseries. I get a yard (truckload) for $16. The drainage is amazing.
    Many construction sites have sand available they are happy to dump a load in a pickup here :) for free.
    Any sand should work, if the concrete sand is sold just as a rough mix with no additives or "setting" in the mix AND you can run your bare hands through it without getting knicked up it should work fine. If its almost all straight dust with pea gravel I wouldn't use it for respiratory issues or it may compact too solidly and not drain when wet.
    The birds will dust bath in it so if there are many sharp pieces it could cause issues later.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Sand is sand
    Get a truck load of the cheapest thing you can find

4. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    thanks a bunch, gona contact some nurseries now...

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    If you have quarries in the area, check them too. I found sand was much cheaper from the quarry companies than from big box store or landscape companies. But if you need it delivered, and don't need a complete dump truck load, the landscape companies may be your best bet. The rougher the sand, the better. Fine sand will get clogged up with poop over time, and will stop draining. Rough sand will drain better.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Thanx. Yea i dont think we got any quarrys in Brooklyn lol. Ima do some more research.

7. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    I miss the quarries in Cali...down south here we have Mud. No rock. Had to BUY rocks for the pond! Ridiculousness where I grew up lol
    I use a river silt base and a few inches of loose courser sand on top. I sift it with a rake and compost the droppings. Easy clean up, no mud, dust baths help keep away lice/mites too. You'll love sand any way you do it lol

8. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Wait so I still gotta scoop the **** out like a litterbox? Or can I just rake it and add sand? I have about 3" of gravel at the bottom, then about 2" dirt and then 2" coarse sand.

9. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Every spring I scoop out about half a yard off the top and replace it. Rest of the time I rake itn not out, just around, turn it on occassion and it stays nice.

10. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Cool thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by