Pea Gravel

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bill83, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bill83

Bill83 Chirping

Mar 22, 2019
    Has anyone had any trouble using pea gravel as bedding for the duck runs ? I had grass/dirt which turned to shit pretty quick, i threw down a bag of pine shavings to be a temporary fix. Looking to use pea gravel but wanna get some feedback

2. J.R.

J.R. Chirping

Jul 15, 2017
    Ohio
    I use it around their pool, about a 3-4’ strip to help keep the mud in check. I’ve never had any problems with them eating it or anything like that and it doesn’t seem to bother them when they walk on it. They do tend to spread it around with their bills and feet but nothing too crazy. I will say that anything less than a 2-3” will get worked down into the ground pretty quick and you’ll have to add more occasionally.

quackiemama likes this.
  3. The Dapper Duck

The Dapper Duck Songster

Apr 9, 2019
    Coastal Humboldt, CA
    Never tried it with ducks. I had sand in a portion of a former coop for chickens. It made cleaning akin to scooping out a litter box. Not sure how a larger class gravel and squirty duck poop would compare though. Wood chips might be an option for you if you can get them cheap enough. Make a friend in the tree pruning industry.

quackiemama likes this.
  4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    We've got a county dump near by where they have all the free wood chips you can carry home. Might be an option for you

quackiemama and Jpat like this.
  5. Bill83

Bill83 Chirping

Mar 22, 2019
    I dont mind using woodchips it just seems like they need to be changed more often. Or maybe im just changing them too often and i should let them sit for a bit longer

quackiemama likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I use pea gravel covered in sand. Better drainage. Softer on feet.

DKFarms, Chick-N-Fun and jennybvcr like this.
  7. jennybvcr

jennybvcr Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    Ooh I like this idea! We have sand down but it turns into a muddy, disgusting mess. The pea gravel helps keep the mud at bay?

quackiemama and chickens really like this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Slope the pen for better drainage. I turn my sand and keep pools out. Plus I have a covered run.

jennybvcr likes this.
  9. jennybvcr

jennybvcr Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the advice!

chickens really likes this.
  10. jennybvcr

jennybvcr Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    Added pea gravel around the pool today. A little duck patio... CF4061BF-16CD-456B-87C1-B4AACF1D038F.jpeg

Bill83 and Jpat like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: