1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pea Gravel

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stoner0208, Apr 8, 2015.

1. stoner0208

stoner0208 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    LONDON
    Hi all
    I'm new to chicken keeping and need some advice I have 8 hens and at the moment in their run its just mud well it was grass ha ha but i was thinking about putting some pea gravel down in there
    Only half of the run has a roof so the bit that's not covered gets a bit water logged when we have heavy rain

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Pea gravel might be a bit hard on the chickens feet, legs and pads. When they scratch through this gravel, it could tear up their pads or give them bumblefoot. I have never used it as a covering. You might try sand in your run. Sand stays fairly dry when wet, it reples flies, absorbs smells and works really well if you hose it down in the summer time to keep the birds cool. Cool feet mean cool birds!

Here is a thread on using sand if you would like more information on it....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

You can also ask around in our Coop and Run Construction forums for more help with a wet run....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck! Make yourself at home here and feel free to ask around the forums with any questions you may have. welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. A fine, smooth pea gravel will work well. I've used it many times over the years in the floors of my runs. Or as TwoCrows has suggested, you could use a coarse river sand. Do not use fine beach sand however as it has been known to impact crops (especially those of chicks). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hens.

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

Is there a way to cover the rest of the run to avoid the problem in the future?

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. stoner0208

stoner0208 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    LONDON
    HI all

I was thinking pea gravel because the hens are digging big holes in the ground and filling with pea gravel would be an easy way to fill the holes and also when it does rain keep their feet out of contact with the wet and mud their run is on a slope also I thought that cleaning the poop would be easy pick up what I can and the hose down
    I don't no what do all you Back Yard Chicken people think ?????
    we have suppose to have a sunny weekend and would like to get out in the garden with the girls

And I only put a roof over half the run because I didn't want to block out all their direct sunlight
    not that we get a lot of sunshine in the uk ha ha

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Fine pea gravel is pretty easy to hose down. That's one of the things I like about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by