Pea Protein Isolate and fish oil, also question on lice/eggs, and light sussex chicks.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nataliab, Aug 20, 2013.

1. nataliab

nataliab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi there,
    My mum gave me this Pea Protein Isolate powder.
    Its meant to be coffee flavour but tastes horrid even with only milk. The only ingredient is Pea Protein Isolate, so I wanted to know if i could mix a small scoop with their pellets maybe once a week or whatever you guys recommend? or should i perhaps wait to mix a little in when my chicks are hatched?

also I have a heaps of old fish oil capsules and i wanted to know if you reckon it'll be okay to mix it with some olive or vegetable oil for two of my hen's scaly legs? i've just been using oil but maybe a little fish oil might be ok too? haha

and also i may be getting some light sussex 3 weeks olds! two questions;

shes giving me a mixed bag because she didnt sex them when hatched, ANY way at all to sex or know from say, a certain week or am i just going to have to guess?? Im getting 5.
    can anyone give me any traits that are known by sussex? I own isa browns and two mix breed marans.

one last thing, my hen (who i got from someone who wasnt treating her right for sure) has lice/eggs under her vent. I dont know if people are going to crazy over this but i saw on youtube to cut a bit of the fluff under the vent for poop, so i did. anyway, i oiled a little (again, LITTLE) under the vent as well (i know they already preen themselves) . What i thought was cool was that shes had a dust bath and completely covered the oiled feathers in dirt and i only saw eggs, no lice. (getting itchy thinking about it) . what brand (in australia) or best way of getting rid of lice and eggs is there?
    dont want to infect or irritate her vent area. but i think its why her egg production in particular has slowed because she usually lays everyday up until month and a half ago.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. nataliab

Mar 14, 2013
    Looks like I'd do better on google.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. nataliab

Mar 14, 2013
    Thankyou!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by