PEA SIZED RED SPOT ON YOLK OKAY?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fawn and Fam, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    When I cracked open an egg today it had a pea sized red (like blood) spot on the yolk. Also there was some pink liquid (blood?) in it. I've heard of this but never have experienced it myself. I'm wondering what does it mean and is it safe to eat though I doubt I could stomach it. If I can't, is it safe to scramble up for the girls?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Blood spots are pretty common, they are usually just because a blood vessels ruptured in the hens ovary or oviduct while the egg was being made. They are fine to eat, just look icky. If they only happen once in awhile it is usually nothing to worry about, if you are getting lots of them, there are various reasons it could be happening you'd want to look into. The Poultry Site has a good article on them with a list of causes.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots

1 person likes this.
  3. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you [​IMG] I am curious why this is never seen in store bought eggs?

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Commercial layer barns use high-powered lights and automated systems to candle each and every egg and remove undesirable ones. That doesn't mean that eggs with blood spots and meat spots aren't laid in commercial barns--they are, but instead of being sold in cartons they are used for other purposes like being sold to bakeries, producers of commercial meals, etc.

Another reason that you rarely see blood spots in commercial eggs is that a blood spot is actually a sign of a very fresh egg. Blood spots fade with age.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Thanks for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by