Peababies hatching I am a grandmother!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by dixygirl, Jun 12, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 hatched. Are 3 more coming? What happened to the 7th egg?

Here was mother while sitting
    [​IMG]

Here was dad pacing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Congrats!!!

3. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG]

This smallest one was brought inside because the new mother kept trampling it and it kept falling over.
    So I imagine I will hand raise this one and leave the other 2 to be raised by the mom.

I have already administered about 1 1/2 ccs of a mixture with a syringe. I used sugar, water and feed in the syringe. At first I had dipped its beak into the soupy water and feed to try to teach it to eat.

Anyone with advice on hand feeding please?

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't really think there is a hand feeding phase. Just make sure she/ he knows were there is water and food are. I think peachicks are like baby chickens they can find their own food.

Nice chicks,
    Henry

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Careful with sugar water. After the first day it begins to act as a laxative and you will have other problems on your hands then. It takes most poultry/gamebirds a day or 2 after hatching to get going and eating and drinking. She may perk up and do better with some infant liquid vitamin drops by beak once a day for a week if she is already more than 3 days old. Good luck raising your little babies.

6. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Quote:Thanks Miss Prissy. I went outside and saw the other two running behind the mama already and tumbling a little bit. So I decided to take her back outside. I waited to make sure the mom accepted her back. She did and I think that is better. It was DH who had brought her in. I would not have in the first place.

What concerns me though now is that she is brooding the 3 chicks and has forgotten to sit on the remaining 3 eggs!

They are not due to all be hatched yet I don't think. Will they be ok or do i need to encourage her somehow to go back to sitting on her remaining eggs?
    Thanks

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Since she hatched those 3 I would think like any hen (chicken or pea hen) she may be done and not willing to sit them. Have a bator? Pop them in and see what they do! Candle them first and see if they are viable - any movement or growth.

8. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    I don't have an incubator yet. [​IMG]

Another question, I have some baby chicks and ducklings coming next week. I wonder if I can get away with introducing them to her and try to get her to brood them along with her own instead of turning on a hot lamp in the house and doing all that.

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I wouldn't risk it. She will know they are different. Even when a chicken or a duck hatches anothers eggs they will often kill them when they hatch. They just know they aren't what they should be.

10. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    There is now a night time chill in the air. She is sitting on her chicks and has abandoned the three remaining eggs. I brought inside the remaining three eggs.

I did not try too long to candle but I put one of the eggs to my ear and could hear sweet peeping inside! I did not hear anything inside the other two. Since I do not have an incubator this evening, I put the eggs on a paper towel in a pot. I sat the pot in a plate of warm water for humidity and placed a wet cloth over the top of the pot also. This I placed under an infra red brood lamp.

Please pray with me that this baby in there peeping can make it! :|

If it has not hatched by morning I will dash out and get an incubator once the stores open.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by