peaceful chicken life isnt so peaceful anymore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by steviethechick, Mar 12, 2013.

1. steviethechick

steviethechick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    a couple of days ago my livestock gardians started barking and didnt stop so i went out to see what was the matter and to my surprise my 2 year old rooster and my one year old ee rooster were trying to kill each other and me being the ohh look a stray anything lets take him home person i am was like oh no yall dont i went in with my rake i didnt know if roosters were like dogs in a fight you dont come between them so i slowly put the rake between the two and got the young one whos spurs are still nubs out of the pen i figured maybe ill let him free ranger for awhile maybe they will calm down but no nothing is that simple the started fighting thru the fence blood was all over them i got the rooster in a small pen i ended up giving him to my neighbor but now i cant go into my pen without my rooster trying to attack me before he attack everyone else except me i would have to go in with my husband and stay between the two cause he would try to attack him thru fence it was all peacful until a few days ago is it because its mating season or because the other rooster go old enough to be a threat with his girls?? is there anyway i can get him to quit attacking me now that the other rooster is gone?? they still crow back and forth at each other from accross the road

2. Fentressfarmer

Fentressfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Fentress Texas
    I'm afraid to say its probably time for chicken soup! The few roosters I've been around that once they got mean they stayed that way! All I can say is you have to show him who's boss, a good 2x4 has always worked for me

3. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    If he has been mean to everyone else for a while, it is probably time for freezer camp. Better to let the younger roo take over the flock than risk someone getting hurt by the mean one.

4. steviethechick

Jul 10, 2012
    LOL figures i gave the good rooster away he was supposed to be a she i raised him from a chick but ive had my other one longer and the girls didnt care for the lil one they were kinda mean to him so i let him go now get attacked everytime i go in the pen when i first got him a year ago he would try to attack me he got introduced to the bad end of the feed bucket lol and quit that was last spring now he has started it again its a pain in the butt cause i have ducks and chickens in the same pin they have always gotten along my roo protects my ducks too i would go in and they would all run up to me eat out of my hand and lol steal the feed bucket away from me let me pet them now i have to watch my back everytime i go in he waits til i aint watching the attacks him ripped my jeans from my knees down with his spurs

5. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

there is no breeding season with chickens they mate all year round .. it can't be the age because i have a young roo i got him when he was 6 months old and he kicked the crap out of my alpha roo so my young one is the alpha now and the older one stepped down but they live in the same area a little fight here and there but no blood anymore .. i think your roo just needs to meat the freezer and like the others said let the younger one take over the flock

6. steviethechick

Jul 10, 2012
    i would do that but i have already given the younger one away for fear he would get killed they had each other a bloody mess

7. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

well your rooster still needs to go then if he attacks you .. my rooster attacks my mother but not me because i rasied him and he knows im boss as do the others roosters .. im big alpha roo is so nice he comes and sits on my lap and eats berries out of my hand

8. steviethechick

Jul 10, 2012
    i couldnt cook him much less kill him they are my pets my neighbors probably all think im nuts out there talking to ducks and chickens i have a mini farm and not one of the animals are actually useful they are all spoiled beyond repair i keep the chicken eggs and my dogs love love love the duck eggs dont have an easter eggs hunt around them lol does anyone know of a good rooster whisperer? lol

9. steviethechick

Jul 10, 2012
    i know they mate all year long my mother in law has a roo that is in love with a milk jug if ya get my hint its wierd i know i told her she was confusing the hell out of him now he has 8 hens and only mates with the milk jug??

10. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    If you really want to keep him then I think you and your husband and anyone else he attacks must show him that he is not the boss. Try dressing in heavy clothes and gloves and charge him everytime he makes a move toward you, chase him down, pick him up and hold him until he becomes submissive. If this does not work after a few tries I would not keep him. You could re-home him to someone who knows his attitude and find a nicer rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by