Peach!

Mar 30, 2018
The peach tree we planted last fall grew one little peach this year. I think we were probably supposed to pinch it off when it was little, since this is the tree's first year in the ground, but the tree grew so well and had a good root system, so we let it stay.

Attachments

• 20180617_161252.jpg
    20180617_161252.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 15
Hopefully nothing else eats your one precious peach. My luck would be a deer would make off with it one night :)

Hopefully nothing else eats your one precious peach. My luck would be a deer would make off with it one night :)
I went ahead and let my daughter pick it, since it was completely yellow/gold and red. I put it in a brown bag to finish ripening. I was afraid the deer would get it. We have three of them who regularly walk through that side of our yard each morning. I am surprised it made it this long!

Heh! The first year one of my apple trees bore apples, the wind blew them all off just as they were starting to ripen...

That is a lovely peach! I'm hoping to have some eventually, but so far, my peach trees haven't shown any sign of doing anything but blossom. It didn't help having a pocket gopher kill one, and almost kill another this last year.

Heh! The first year one of my apple trees bore apples, the wind blew them all off just as they were starting to ripen...

That is a lovely peach! I'm hoping to have some eventually, but so far, my peach trees haven't shown any sign of doing anything but blossom. It didn't help having a pocket gopher kill one, and almost kill another this last year.
We have two peach trees and they both had tons of blossoms, but only the one peach. Our apple trees didn't even blossom this year. We had a weird late snow/frost in April, though, after everything started blooming.

We have two peach trees and they both had tons of blossoms, but only the one peach. Our apple trees didn't even blossom this year. We had a weird late snow/frost in April, though, after everything started blooming.

Just don't be like me. I waited far too long to get rid of the gopher, because I don't like trapping any animal in a kill-trap, and nothing else was effective. The gopher I caught was about three pounds, massive for a pocket gopher around here. It took out two apple trees, one peach, a crab-apple that moved here with me, and a maple tree. It almost killed another peach. It also destroyed all of my raspberries, two honeysuckle vines, and did some major damage to a half dozen rugosa rose bushes.

If you get a pocket gopher, deal with it immediately. When I did finally get a trap and set it, I caught the gopher within four hours, and have caught another since then within an hour of noticing that it had moved in.

I recommend getting a 'Cinch' gopher trap, and keeping it on hand just in case! Just dig down until the tunnel is open and exposed, set the trap, and stick the pincer end down into the hole. They don't like having a burrow exposed to the open air, so they'll come investigate it and set the trap off.

Just don't be like me. I waited far too long to get rid of the gopher, because I don't like trapping any animal in a kill-trap, and nothing else was effective. The gopher I caught was about three pounds, massive for a pocket gopher around here. It took out two apple trees, one peach, a crab-apple that moved here with me, and a maple tree. It almost killed another peach. It also destroyed all of my raspberries, two honeysuckle vines, and did some major damage to a half dozen rugosa rose bushes.

If you get a pocket gopher, deal with it immediately. When I did finally get a trap and set it, I caught the gopher within four hours, and have caught another since then within an hour of noticing that it had moved in.

I recommend getting a 'Cinch' gopher trap, and keeping it on hand just in case! Just dig down until the tunnel is open and exposed, set the trap, and stick the pincer end down into the hole. They don't like having a burrow exposed to the open air, so they'll come investigate it and set the trap off.
Oh that would make me so upset to lose so many plants and trees! I haven't seen any gophers around here yet. I have seen groundhogs, but not in our yard. I know the traps you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom