Peaches for Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Aug 9, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Anyone know if this is safe? It isn't on the list of things you can or cannot!

Thanks!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It is safe as a treat.

Imp

3. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Anecdotally, mine got all the peels and pits from an entire bushel of peaches that I put up in the freezer, and they are all still alive. [​IMG]

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Thank you!! [​IMG]

5. Keens2050

Keens2050 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    Mine LOVE peaches!!! Every time I would cut up some peaches, I'd give them the skins. They'd run over to me and grab them out of my fingers as fast as I could get it to them. They didn't bother with the pits, though.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Peach pits do contain a slight amount of cyanide- like stuff(can't remember the exact name). I think it would take a lot of pits to make a chicken sick. I can't imagine chickens eating peach pits.

ETA- I think a lot of fruit pits are like this.

Imp

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I give my chickens whole peaches and they love them. They don't eat the pits, so don't worry.

8. Keens2050

Keens2050 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    What about raisins? I gave mine some raisins today. They ate them. Anything in them I should worry about?

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Have fed mine peaches and apricots from our trees this Spring. They love them...I just clean up the pits from the run floor later.

10. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Ours LOVE the peaches that fall off the tree over our run! Seems to make them spoiled rotten, because they expect me to shake the tree everytime I walk down there, but as far as health issues, miine have been healthy as horses! Erm... well... healthy as chickens...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by