Peachick...1 from 1st batch (pic)-8 more go to hatcher today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by arlee453, Apr 19, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Starting a thread on my latest hatching projects...

I set 28 eggs from Lisa's (DipsyDoodledoo) blue/black/splash Amerucuanas this past monday evening (14th). They are the most beautiful greenish color- reminds me of mint chocolate ice cream! I asked for 2 doz and she sent me 4 extras - THANKS LISA!

Candled today (day 6...well, techincally more like day 5 because it took a LONG time for me to get the bator back up to the right temps after putting in all those eggs...)

Of the 28, had 5 that were clear and one iffy. That leaves 23 in the bator, 22 of which had clear veining! Lisa, 2 of the clear ones were very porous shells, and two others had virtually no air cell - I figured they got 'scrambled' in transit...

I candled today rather than waiting another day or two figuring I could clear a couple spots in the turner to set my PEAHEN eggs...

Doing a fertility check on the 6 laid this past week. If they are fertile, then I'll be offering some for sale here. Wish me luck!!

2 more weeks to IBW on Lisa's eggs, and a LONG 4 weeks to wait for the peafowl...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Best of luck, Susan! [​IMG]

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Sending good hatching vibes your way !!!

Julie [​IMG]

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Day 8 - I was trying really hard to hold back, but of course temptation took hold so I did a really quick candle again today.

I have to say first, that GET A AUTO-TURNER! This is the first hatch I've done here at home with the auto-turner (I used it in the school bator and had 100% hatch rate on the bunch I set at the school). Boy, does it make the whole process easier!!

For those who don't remember my homemade bators, they are made out of 34qt plastic coolers and my turner is a LG auto turner that I cut down to fit inside. It's working great with the chicken and the peahen eggs.

But, I digress...on to the candling report...

Of the 23 eggs left from Lisa, ALL 23 had good veining and I saw clear movement in several of them with just candling the eggs still in the turner. [​IMG]

Of the 6 peahen eggs.... [​IMG]

They are only on day 3 though, so I'm not giving up hope at all yet. Can anyone tell me how soon and what to look for in peahen eggs? I'm figuring I'll see veining eventually, but not sure when...

That's all for now.... Two more weeks to go!! [​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good hatching vibes coming your way!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. Hi Susan!
    I'm so glad they are growing!
    I saw the ones you called porous when I candled them before wrapping (they look 'mottle-y'). Those hatch well here, but maybe shipping doesn't agree with them.
    I have one hen in that pen whose egg sometimes has a pin-hole spot that is without shell (it is a tiny flaw in the shell and I can't always see it unless I candle all the eggs).
    No visible air cell usually means very fresh eggs, maybe they were fresh, but non-viable?

Yaaay! for the Pea eggs!! I hope they all grow for you.

I think a bantam-sized non-screaming friendly Pea would be a bird I'd want to keep.

Good luck!!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    [​IMG] Latest update....

Of the 23 Amerucuanas, 22 look really good and there was one iffy one that may be developing a blood ring. I left it in there and will check it again in a few days. Even if that one quits on me, they are doing really great! One more week to go on those...

[​IMG]

Of the 6 of my peahens' eggs - ALL 6 are veining!! Whoot! I was so surprised to see all of them developing. 3 more weeks on those guys.

And of course I had to set 8 more peahen eggs in the other bator tonight (after a trip to TSC today to pick up another turner to cut down to fit)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm glad they are all doing so well. Good hatching vibes coming your way.

9. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    day 19 started this evening on Lisa's Amerucanas.

I just moved them into the egg cartons for hatching (trying the carton method this time...)

Now I'm on IBW!

I took a quick peek and all looked good except for that one and I'm not quite willing to give up on it yet...

Wish me luck!! [​IMG]

As soon as I see some pips, I'll move the web cam over so we can all watch together!

10. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Moved the webcam over to the incuabtor this morning. Woke up to cheeping and 2 pips!

Come on babies!! I'll post back when things start to get a bit more interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by