Peachick behavior: eating poop?

LilyAlmeyda

Chirping
May 13, 2021
I am new to peafowl and I have two peachicks who recently I've noticed that they are eating chicken poop. I feed them starter high protein game food, veggies, grub treats and sunflower seeds. Is this there something that is missing in their nutrition? or just a nasty habit they are picking up? I am isolating them from free ranging with the chickens to get them off of this poop eating habit. But what else can I do?

I am new to peafowl and I have two peachicks who recently I've noticed that they are eating chicken poop. I feed them starter high protein game food, veggies, grub treats and sunflower seeds. Is this there something that is missing in their nutrition? or just a nasty habit they are picking up? I am isolating them from free ranging with the chickens to get them off of this poop eating habit. But what else can I do?
You can start a regular regiment of treating for cocci and worms at least every four weeks until the snow flies.

You can start a regular regiment of treating for cocci and worms at least every four weeks until the snow flies.
I got this for deworming, is this ok to use or should I get something different

Attachments

• E8787DCF-E7F8-4890-B87A-4B3D07AD67A0.jpeg
    E8787DCF-E7F8-4890-B87A-4B3D07AD67A0.jpeg
    799.8 KB · Views: 11
I just noticed this too!!! Omg I feel horrible for him or her! Is this a broken wing? It has been acting normal and flying normal too. I let them go outside supervised at all times for around 1-2 hours a day.

Attachments

• DF303F2F-EAC1-445F-94EE-850CF4EA969C.jpeg
    DF303F2F-EAC1-445F-94EE-850CF4EA969C.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 10
  • A56F1C95-3002-4257-B31B-9C25BA4DBE99.jpeg
    A56F1C95-3002-4257-B31B-9C25BA4DBE99.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 11
I just noticed this too!!! Omg I feel horrible for him or her! Is this a broken wing? It has been acting normal and flying normal too. I let them go outside supervised at all times for around 1-2 hours a day.
I had asked the breeder why it was dropping its wings and he said they are just heavy for them... but I knew something was different. It only now became more noticeable since its losing its baby feathers and getting new ones. What can I do for him/her. If this is an old injury it’s about a month old. :( that’s when I got the peachick

His assumption is probably correct. Chicks have to build up their strength in their wings and the heavy new feathers will cause the wing to droop until strength is built up. As long as they are hopping and flapping around they are fine.
I understand, but that bone protrusion excessively movable and dangling.

Back
Top Bottom