1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peachick Care

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by konopswj, Jun 17, 2011.

1. konopswj

konopswj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Coopers Plains, NY
    I have two peachicks that are 3 weeks old. They are in a ¼” wire floor brooder. They are fed 18% medicated chick start on a paper plate switched out with fresh about 3 times a day. They get fresh water 3 times or more a day occasionally with vitamins and electrolytes in it. They are also kept at about 85 degrees currently.

Here’s my problem, one has had loose stool for 3 days now. Birds both seem fine and active, no messes on the bird itself. I just want to know if something needs done or changed before I’ve let it go too far or it becomes too late.

Please advise. Thanks.
    Walter

2. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    Quote:

3. plinkee

plinkee New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Not sure I can help, but would have thought 18% - presuming its 18% protein seems a little low to me, i using give chicks a higher protein level in the form of pheasant feed which is about 29%. I don't generally give any special medication in their food or water and have a good success rate of handrearing chicks. Sorry, don't know what to suggest. Good luck [​IMG]

4. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I would give them regukar water, bump up the temps on the warm side of the brooder, and give a MINIMUM of 24% feed.

5. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Mix in a little bioactive yogurt in some of the feed. It helps the bowel flora. Works like a dream for me. I suspect it also supplies a bunch of trace elements that can only help.

I read we should not give more than 22% protein though to small chicks as it makes them grow too fast which causes serious leg problems. Higher protein is fine for later on. I give mine medicated start n'grow which I think is 18%

6. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    That's an interesting take.. I have always heard to treat peas like gamebirds, which require the higher protein for adequate growth.

7. Phage

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    One of the expert BYC "educators" was saying that a few weeks ago.

They need higher % later, but not as tiny chicks .... apparently too much causes problems

8. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Hmm what is your definition of "later"? With the gamebirds I do from 1-12 weeks high protein. So how do you divide up the weeks and protein amounts?

9. Phage

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Deerman says 20% chick starter:

I never put chicken with peafowl.........yes wet the chick starter , only feed them what they will eat(wet it will spoil quick) place food on Aluminum foil, that will help ,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6688104#p6688104

AND
    get them on a medicated starter 20% or near that. agree blackshoulders , n.........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6592791#p6592791

I keep them on medicated chick starter until they are off wire.
    Not exactly sure when you are meant to switch, but hopefully Deerman or someone will give us the "official" line.

10. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Hmm that's interesting.. I hadn't heard of that before. The cut off point will be pretty important to know though, I guess?

And you didn't have to put up links, I believe you.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by