Peachick Escape! *Pics*

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Jul 26, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    My mom went to go run some errands leaving the peachicks in their pen in her office. I was in the other room and after a while I heard some loud peeping. I walked into the room and one of the chicks jumped down off of a log and the others were watching it. Later I heard them talking loudly again but when I checked on them they were all standing there staring at me. Minutes later I heard flapping so I walked in there to find one peachick on the top edge of the pen and the other two on the floor outside of the pen staring up at it. When the last one saw me it flew down. I now see what it is like having peachicks that you don't hatch yourself...It is sooo hard to catch them! They are afraid of you and just run all over trying to get away and even though they are so small they can put up a good fight once you catch one. I let them wander around a bit.

Here are all three of the little escape artists next to the pen. The stuffed animal is our dog's. She likes to look at the peachicks.
    [​IMG]

Then they all went under the table and were jumping over chair legs and exploring. I like the one in the background flapping.
    [​IMG]

Next I spoiled their fun by "abducting" one of the peachicks for a good photo. The background is a dichroic glass bowl my mom made, it is my favorite bowl she has done. I think I found my new favorite background for peachick pictures.
    [​IMG]

2. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    haha lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Girl ya gotta learn to herd them Peas. LOL

Love the last photo best nice color combo.

Hows Peep liken them?

4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Peep is curious about them, but he isn't nice to them. I let Peep meet them today and I let Peep fly into the pen on his own. He first flew onto the top side of the pen then he flew into the pen. At first he seemed a bit afraid of them and the white peachicks were definitely afraid because they were all in the corner. Then Peep started to eat their food and they got curious and walked up and wanted to eat with him. At first he shared but then he started to peck their beak or face whenever they tried to eat. Then if they got too close he would peck or pull at their feathers. Then one time he even trapped them in a corner and when one tried to escape he pecked at it and so Peep isn't very nice.

I was wondering if I will ever be able to keep them together? Maybe I am having problems because Peep has never been around other peachicks all he mainly knows is people. He does like to peck at our dog too, maybe he is just a mean bird? I hope he doesn't have a problem with white peafowl...Our dog is white and of course these new peafowl are white...I hope he doesn't hate white peafowl.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It may take a few days for them to get use to each other, they will be fine you'll see.

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    When we first put Osiris (our really hand raised one) in with other peas, she pecked at them too. But she was also used to me saying her name like she was in trouble, and stopping whatever she was doing when I said it, so a few times of that and she figured out ok, I'm not supposed to do that. She's still really oral curious about everything though... anything new she pecks at it to figure out what it is... it's like she's nearsighted or something XD You could try putting them together under your watch and tapping Peep on the head when he pecks at the little ones. He might put two and two together like Osiris did.

Then there is Blu, Osiris' brother... and I think he doesn't get what the crown on his peafowls' heads are... when we had them all together, he picked off everyone's crowns, and when we watched because we couldn't figure out what was going on, he would walk up and stare like WHAT IS IT HOLD STILL and then he'd make a grab for their crowns. He also spent a while trying to bite Osiris' feet when ever he could see them... but enough taps on the head stopped that too.

Whatever you do, good luck with it! I think he will adjust eventually.

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:Yes, I noticed Peep do that too...He pecked at one of the peachick's foot. I tell him "NO!" whenever he does something like that but then I just think it might not be as effective as it is with dogs...I like your tapping idea, of course he is so used to me petting him even on the head so I hope he doesn't just think I am petting him. I just put more food in there for the white peachicks, they all scattered when I put the food in. I have been taking them out individually and petting them then I put them back. I hope that helps tame them down a little. Sometimes we can get one to take food off of our finger but once one of the other ones shows fear all of them get scared. Tomorrow I will try to put all the chicks together again and try tapping Peep's head if he is bad. I hope I can be sane tomorrow, I am getting my wisdom teeth out and I am a little scared. I know that I will be a bit drugged up so I might be out of it all day and I really want to go to Church tomorrow but I might not be able to make it up the stairs to the teen room![​IMG]

Anyways thanks for the advise on what to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by