Peachick gasping?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystalchik, Nov 3, 2010.

1. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have a 3 or so month old peachick that has begun gasping again... I dont know what else it could be other than gapes or a Resp. Inf. I treated for gapes with Ivermectin and the RI with antibiotics. This started several weeks ago, and I did the same treatment and she seemed to improve, but now she's gasping again and seems like it has gotten worse.

She doesnt have any other symptoms, her eyes, nose, everything is clear. She's just gasping. Ive lost 2 other peachicks this way, and had one more that I treated with Ivermec as well and she seems to being doing better.

I guess my question is 1) what do you think it might be? and 2) if it is gape worms, why isnt she getting better since I have been treating with Ivermectin (Ive been told it will kill gapes)

Please help, I dont want to lose another one
    Thank you so much

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    try rotating with safe guard too, and treat for 3 consecutive days, sure sounds like gape, they can be tuff to kill but an ivermectin/safeguard treatment should do the trick.
    If they got better, then got worse again, most likely eggs hatched or another bird gave them to them.
    The head shaking is a transfer method of gape worms, the come up the thraot/trachea, and make the birds shake their heads, then a little red worm flies out, wiggling around, it draws other birds to it, they eat it, then they have gape worms too.

3. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Oh thats awful! [​IMG]

Okay, I have Safeguard Equine Dewormer (25 gram paste 10%) (100 mg/g)

Do you know how much I treat her with?

Thank you so much for all the info!!

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Not sure on the paste, with the liquid it's 3 cc per gallon of water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by