Peachick leg problems!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morri, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    My peachick has just stated displaying a leg problem, he is 3 weeks old and has never had a problem, it is kept in a 2X1f glass tank as a brooder with lucerne chaff (horse feed) as bedding but I think because the chaff slides on the glass it may have cause a leg problem?!?!?! HE walk and runs but his left leg kinda sticks out to the side rather than facing forwards!!! I feel so stupid!!! SHould I put newspaper under the chaff to keep in stable?? What do you recommend as bedding?? Should I tape his legs together or wait and see if it corrects itself??? Thanks for any info!!! [​IMG]

2. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] I would say that the flooring is way too slippery and he keeps losing his footing, is there anyway he could be kept up off the floor with wire underfoot instead? I have hand raised several pea chicks and kept them in a large rubber stock watering tank with regular wood shavings underneath but never had the problem that you are experiencing. They stayed in the brooder until I put them in the nursery at about 6 weeks of age. Why don't you post this under the Peafowl category and speak with some experts? They have always been a world of help to me! [​IMG]

3. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks will do just going to clean his cage first and maybe put some hay in there ontop of newspaper so hopefully it will help!!

4. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    SHould I tape it his leg or leave it for now???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by