1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peachick Necropsy **WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES**

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by q8peafowl, Dec 23, 2014.

1. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    This is a necropsy i have just done for my peachick with my friend(he does 98% of the work[​IMG] ),

Again, this thread has many graphic pictures!

I didn't have the time to read how to donecrops y exactly, but have tried to do it as best as i can.

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a video:
    [​IMG]

2. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Hope these pictures are enough!

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

The only thing I can add here is that the gut needs to be opened up to see if there are any worms. You guys did a great job! It is very difficult to remove the lung, good job there. If you still have the gut (intestine), see if you can cut it length wise and let the contents out.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Wow, great pictures!

5. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Oh, i have already got rid of the body because i thought the problem was in the liver.

6. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Good job, Othman! That had to be hard for you. [​IMG]

I don't have enough experience to tell what was wrong with the bird -- someone else will have to do that. Did your friend who did the procedure notice anything?

One thing I thought I saw was that the crop was full, but did not appear damaged. Did you see any damage to the esophagus or crop? I didn't see anything obvious in the photos, but again, I am NOT an expert at this.

But if that's correct, if there was no damage to the crop or esophagus, then that means that your tube feeding with your improvised tube did not injure the bird. I know that was something you worried about. I'm still hoping you will be able to locate a catheter or something less rigid soon, but it must be a big relief that the tubing procedure didn't cause any injury.

I know you did your absolute best for this little guy. He didn't pull through, but I think you gave him more of a chance than he would have had without your efforts.

7. enola

I have looked really hard at these pictures, and I really don't know what I am looking for either. But, what is the browish or dark stuff that I see on/in the intestinal cavity? That does not seem normal to me.

8. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    I assumed it was cecal poo... but am a beginner at this sort of thing. Also, since the bird had been dead for 12 hours or so before necropsy, I figured the stuff that looked like clotted blood was from that.

9. enola

Othman, did you find any part of the insides that looked like they had ruptured? I just don't remember the intestinal cavity looking that "messy" on chickens I have butchered....

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Exactly... Don't know what it is, but it looks a lot like blood, maybe blood and fecal matter? What is that dark section of the intestines, that doesn't look normal either.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by