Peachick with leg sticking straight out?

AB03Sam

Songster
5 Years
Dec 30, 2018
Alberta, Canada
16CE96FA-4DA4-47CC-A9B6-5602518C3DFF.jpeg
74D68DA5-9F00-4CEB-8E4C-6C6B0CA938FF.jpeg
How do I fix a Peachick with its leg sticking straight out? The leg almost looks like it’s hyperextended. The leg bends normally when I physically move it. Hobbling the chick doesn’t seem to help as it just lays and doesn’t walk. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Could be a slipped tendon. They tend to present that way (one leg sticking straight out). I'm not super familiar with what normal peachicks look like. Do the joints look swollen at all? Has the chick sustained any kind of injury as far as you know?

How old is the chick, and what do you feed it? Where did the baby come from?

Could be a slipped tendon. They tend to present that way (one leg sticking straight out). I'm not super familiar with what normal peachicks look like. Do the joints look swollen at all? Has the chick sustained any kind of injury as far as you know?

How old is the chick, and what do you feed it? Where did the baby come from?

I don’t think it’s a slipped tendon. I’ve seen those before. Joint looks ok. Just came out of the incubator. Hatched last night. Gets 25% turkey starter, ground cat food, boiled eggs and plain yogurt. Egg was from my own birds. I’m starting to think it’s a hip problem so I’m going to try a treatment for that.

I don’t think it’s a slipped tendon. I’ve seen those before. Joint looks ok. Just came out of the incubator. Hatched last night. Gets 25% turkey starter, ground cat food, boiled eggs and plain yogurt. Egg was from my own birds. I’m starting to think it’s a hip problem so I’m going to try a treatment for that.
Ok, given that information I agree that it's probably not a slipped tendon.

And I'm just asking for my own information now: If it is a hip problem what treatment do you recommend? Has it been effective in the past?

3644E4BD-A08D-4397-B6F5-591033A677E6.jpeg
B22FDC49-9AD5-497A-A234-54D4C923F530.jpeg
Ok, given that information I agree that it's probably not a slipped tendon.

And I'm just asking for my own information now: If it is a hip problem what treatment do you recommend? Has it been effective in the past?
I’ve never tried it before, but I saw a picture somewhere on this site when looking for something else. I don’t know if it will work, but it’s worth a try.

Poor thing. Keep us posted on how it does.

Maybe give it some Nutridrench or something to help perk it up. Is it eating/drinking much yet? (I've never hatched eggs before, so I'm not sure if they do eat right away or not. I feel like they hang out in the incubator for a few days and then come out and eat?)

I will, I hope I can fix it.

It’s only been out of the incubator for about 3 hours now. It’s eaten a tiny bit. I take my chicks out of the incubator about 24 hours after they hatch and show them the food and water. Most of them will try food right away.

Is this one an only chick? No brothers or sisters?
I have 8 in this hatch. I don’t know why, but this week’s hatch every chick had something to be fixed on it. Crooked toes, splayed legs, slipped tendon, and two with this problem. I’m working on everybody. Hope I can save them all.

Back
Top Bottom