Peacock - Antibiotic choice question

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
So, one of my peas has done something terrible to one of his legs. I had a friend of mine take a look and she says she thinks he sprained the ankle fairly badly, and that it might be infected (there's no open wound, and it doesn't seem broken... just swollen and hot and he's not using it). She didn't have advice on what anti-biotic to use, so is Tylan 200 the standard for peas? I have a bottle on hand as well as a bottle of duramycin, and access to other meds, I just don't know which is most commonly used/safe for peas.

Tylan is typically used for respiratory distress and/or swollen sinuses. For a situation like this I've used metacam (meloxicam) which is an anti-inflammatory with pain management. Your vet can give you a script, and the dosage will depend entirely on weight. Has the bird improved in the last couple of days?

I've currently got them at a friend's who is caring for him, so I haven't seen him in two days between work and I've only made her responsible for telling me if he is eating and drinking and moving around- which he has been. I will be out this weekend to check on him and spend some petting time with him, so I'll be able to check on swelling temp and pain response. I know my vet doesn't do peacocks (in fact they were very confused when I called them the first time), but I will ask about the meds anyway.

I located a vet through a recommendation, so I'll take him in tomorrow to see what he has to say. Thanks for the med rec, it lead me to a vet that takes peacocks!

$150 later, Blu is living in my bedroom for the next week while I give him Bayril, Ammoxicillan, and Metacam twice a day. He's perked up a lot since I started giving the meds, and I actually caught him preening tonight. I had to travel this weekend, quite a lot of travel actually... so he got to road trip along with me across the state a couple times because I couldn't leave someone else to try and give him oral meds. He actually slept through a lot of the trip, and spent the rest of it sitting quietly watching out the window. He got a chance to clean half my grandpa's yard of clover while we visited (and his yard is mostly clover because he never tends it). But boy am I glad this is one of my hand-raised kids and not my 'wild' ones. Blu at least likes me enough to tolerate me shoving pills and syringes down his throat and carting him all over shinola.

One of mine caught her back toe on the wire and she wouldn't walk on it and it got swollen. I gave her a shot of 3cc baytril and she was using it within two days. Now it's healed.

Wish it was that quick for Blu! It's been since friday afternoon on all three and he's still not putting his foot all the way down, and the joint's still swollen. But he's acting better, so we'll see.

Did your vet suspect that it could be gout? Here is a great article on the subject. Be sure to make it to the section on Metacam. I really don't like the use of NSAIDS in birds because it is really tough on them. I launched Metacam in the US several years ago and have sold others and they are all ment for short term use.

Here is the link: http://www.2ndchance.info/gout.htm

No, I'm quite certain it's a sprain that got inflamed (especially due to circumstances and sudden onset). We just recently changed their environment (twice) and Blu's sort of a klutz.

Back
Top Bottom