Peacock as predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tn_artist, May 14, 2009.

1. tn_artist

tn_artist Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Parrottsville,TN
    We live in a rural area and one of the neighbors released some peacocks several years ago. I think they were loose in his acreage, but he admitted to being in bad health and unable to care for them anymore. This caused them to start roaming further and further from home. They have come into my yard, killed chicks, eaten all of the blueberries (and pooped them all over the porch), and even killed the 'sort of pet' bullfrog in the ditchline that we enjoyed listening to. I hate to shoot it, but it is getting out of hand. I would trap it, but don't know how and wouldn't know what to do with it or where to put it until I figured that out.

Any ideas?

(If your in the Cocke County area of TN and want it, please come and get it! It makes daily visits, but often at different times of the day. Also, I suspect one of the closer neighbors is feeding them along with the local deer, but their house is up for sale and I know they don't want them.)

2. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    I wonder if Animal Control or the Humane Society would step in...

3. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I would recommend trapping it and perhaps build a cage for it as they are also good for warning you of the other predators like Coyotes, Foxes and Bobcats

4. tn_artist

Apr 29, 2009
    Parrottsville,TN
    don't know. They don't even like to come out to the county and are always complaining that the county taxes are way less than the city taxes and the county should 'cough' up more. We do have a new director though and she is a vet so I may call again. thanks

5. tn_artist

Apr 29, 2009
    Parrottsville,TN
    I think keeping it for me is out of the question even though they are beautiful. A large enough cage with a flight net is money I would rather spend on my chickens and my twins! thanks for the suggestion though. I hope someone local is willing to get it, although Dad says that when he was in Vietnam they killed and ate them.

6. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Then my only solution is to call a zoo and ask if they'll accept a Peacock

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'd catch them and rehome them, sell them, or whatever you want to do with them.

8. tn_artist

Apr 29, 2009
    Parrottsville,TN
    Any suggestions on catching them? They used to let us get within about 5 feet of them, now it's more like 10 or 15.

9. lickskillet

lickskillet *Home of the Shoveler*

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    Some kind of netting thrown at them maybe if you could get close enough? Then take it to the local stockyards, they sell well here!

10. Polish Chickens

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    The only way to catch them is to make like a v-shaped netting that is like a corral which you can possibly herd the Peacock towards it and you'll be able to catch it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by