Peacock 'chattering' his beak?

percypea

Chirping
Oct 10, 2015
Hello,

I've just got up this morning and found my previously healthy 5-year-old peacock behaving a bit unusually and wondered if any of you could give me some advice. He has hardly touched his breakfast and when he went to it he kept 'chattering' his beak, opening and closing it a little amount. I'm not sure what's wrong, he has seemed quite well until now. His behaviour looks quite like the peacock in this video on another thread, but without the beak scraping on the ground:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-with-our-peacock-please.1211886/page-2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Is your peacock still acting this way?
It is hard to say for sure what it is without seeing it, but I know with my birds they do what I call 'beak adjusting' where they don't always start eating right away, they just keep chattering their beak like you said and they might do that a bit before they finally start eating up their food.

For instance, I can give one of my peacocks a piece of dog food and he might drop it, then chatter his beak a bit to adjust himself then I'll give him another piece and he will be able to grasp and eat it.

Hope your bird is doing well now.

Back
Top Bottom