1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peacock color? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bdfive, Feb 12, 2012.

1. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Is this pecocks color referred to as a Silver Pied? Silver Pied White-eye? What? Thanks much!

2. DreamBird

DreamBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    New Caledonia
    It does look like a Silver Pied White-eye, experts will comfirm this, but yeah, I'd say he is Silver Pied White-eye.
    And a beatiful bird too :'D

3. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Thanks! He is about 2 years old so look forward to watching him mature. He's already mating with the hen I bought with him. Was told I'd get the same by breeding the pair. I'll post pictures of her as soon as we get some decent weather. I'm hoping to get the same but wondering if I should purchase a white peahen. Don't know if he's anything special but I've always wanted a white-eye.

4. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Now I' ve some questions .
    Are there Indian Blue Silver, Indian Blue Silver Pied or Indian Blue Silver white eyes ?
    Or all the Indian Blue Silver are the mix of those 3 variations ?.... I think so !
    Because Silver is a combiaison of Indian Blue pied and Indian Blue white eyes.
    Or can I find an Indian Blue Silver white eyes without pied ?

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    silver pied is a pattern ........comes in many colors....and all silver pieds are white eyes.

so yes india blue(no matter the color) silver pied
    splalding silver pied

guess its a little lazy of us all to leave the w/e off, but like i said ALL ( Silver pieds are w/e

now you can have a pied w/e without it being a silver pied

6. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    silver pied X silver pied = 50% silver pied 25% white 25% dark pied of coarse all w/e

7. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

"Silver Pied White Eye" is redundant. In order to be Silver Pied, it must be White Eyed. If it has non-white oceli, it's either just Pied or Pied with only one copy of the White Eye gene. Silver Pied birds have two copies of the White Eye genes, plus the genes to make it Pied. The name "Silver Pied" is given to birds with this combination of genes, not because of a "Silver Pied" gene by itself.

[​IMG]

8. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Deerman, thank you so much for answering my questiion. [​IMG] Are you up for a couple more? What will I get breeding a plain IB Pied hen with the Silver Pied w/e male? How about breeding the Silver Pied w/e female with a nice looking IB Pied male? One more.....how do I get an India Blue male with white-eyes? Gosh, now I'm starting to understand why everyone needs so many pens, LOL!!!!

10. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

IB Pied X IB Silver Pied =
    25% White Single-Factor White-Eyed (will be completely white in color)
    50% IB Pied Single-Factor White-Eyed (will look almost like Silver Pied, but not all oceli will be white -- midway between Pied and Silver Pied)
    25% IB Dark Pied Single-Factor White-Eyed (will have white flights and throat, with about half of the oceli being white and half being pigmented)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by