1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

peacock food?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by jackrooster, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I am getting peacocks this weekend and i am wondering what to give them for food?? I was thinking a mix of Game bird crumble, crack corn, whole oats, chicken layer pellet rolled oats and a little cat food mixed??

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    hellooo?

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I feed mine laying pellets with a mixture of sunflower seeds. The old man that I bought them from was feeding them this, so I continued. I hope that helps.

Who are you getting them from? Just ask them what did they feed them and continue that type of diet.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:You should have no problems with the diet. Limit cat food to a little a day or treats, the high protein in cat food is good for them in limited quantities.

5. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I feed mine a good gamebird feed as it is formulated to have everything they need at the right protein level. I do give treats (sunflower seeds, catfood, etc.) but sparingly.

6. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Ours are fed game bird crumbles, BOSS, some scratch grains, some oats and corn. They get about 2 scoops feed and 1 scoop of the mix of corn/grains. They also get "treats" from time to time. Bread, veggies, fruits etc. Whatever we take down to give to the horses/goats and chickens we throw some in to them as well.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. skelly

skelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    ripley
    We feed ours gamebird feed and scratch. We free range ours so they also eat the dog food and any scraps that gets thrown out.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:So gamebird feed is not too high in protein for them?

9. skelly

skelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    ripley
    not for adults.There is alot of info in the sticky at the top of the page about feeding and caring for them at all ages.

10. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    I feed mine coarse grain mix, pasta, rice, dog food, greens, fruit, some veggies and lots of live food.... crickets, wood cockroches and mealworms.... especially good for chicks.... lucky enough to work in that industry and get them for next to nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by