Peacock Gone Walk-about!

PintoPasoFino

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Chicago
I am a little dismayed to say the least that my peacock has gone on a journey to who knows where. I am hoping some of you have had similar experiences and can give me some hope that all is not lost!

I bought a pair of 2 yr old peafowl last Sept and kept them confined for a few months. I started letting them out in Nov and at first they wouldn't even come out, then they would venture out when the weather was good, but would stay in if the weather was bad. Lately the weather has been improving here, so the two would go out in the day and then right at dinner, go back in. Never has these two left the 5 acres here, rarely would they go much past the barn or house.

The other day, I left for work in the afternoon, and when my husband came home at dinner, the peahen was in the barn, but the peacock was no where. He had been out earlier in the day before I left. Anyway, he has been gone for 3 days, haven't seen him at the neighbors, haven't seen any feathers around like there was a near- by accident. None of my neighbors have peafowl, only one has a half dz chickens.

Yes, there are coyotes around here. I am wondering if he wandered too far away from the house and got snatched up. I live in the middle of corn fields without many neighbors, neighbors here are a half mile to a mile apart.

My girl looks lonely.

Is there a chance he might just show up again someday, or do I start the search for another? I really liked him!

Thanks!

Sorry to her about your peacock.. First there is always hope, I have heard some amazing stories in my day about animals disapearing for even weeks at a time and returning home like nothing ever happened.. On another note he very well may have been taken , it would seem odd that he would go in every night then just not be there, makes me think a predator may have gotten him.. Unfortunatly the choice is yours on how to continue.. Good luck

I'm going through the same thing right now so I understand your agony of waiting and wondering. This was a male I had just received and made the mistake of letting him out and he scaled my 6 foot fence even with a clipped wing. So frustrating! I have searched high and low for him. Good luck.

Don't give up hope, after my newly acquired BS male was gone for 3 nights, I just found him hanging out by my back gate in the woods, he was easy to round up as his wing was clipped. He was lucky to evade predators but he did come from a feral population so he prolly had lost of smarts. I'm so glad, miracles do happen! I am still in shock that he was sittin right there, I think he took a hike then came back b/c he wasnt getting the feed and good quality bread mornings and evenings, he has it good here!

Ahhh Double posted, sorry!
sad.png

Last edited:
My husband is from Australia so of course the peacock went "walk-about"!

Still no sign, think something must have nabbed him. Not many places to hide around here, just a couple neighbors and all corn fields. Totally unlike this bird to leave the property, mostly he hung out on the back deck right by the back door.

We are mourning the loss of this guy like he was a child! We have lots of animals here, and haven't had this one as long as most of the others, but I am just about ready to don the black attire and put a veil over my face! Well, maybe not quite, but you know.

So.........critter swap coming up in a few weeks. Going to play match maker for my pea hen, hopefully there is something suitable. Maybe she didn't like this particular male and kicked him out. He did make a lot of goo-goo eyes at the guineas.

this is what I do..

My birds are locked up for about 4 to 5 months before being free'ed... then... I feed them every day in the morning... so they know where they need to be in the morning if they wanna eat... I only feed them once... and then they take off to the pond, the river, the feilds, and even the woods... but they always come home because of the feed. Im sure if I fed them less or did not feed them.. they probly would not come back.

do you feed them or they on only pasture.

One more thing is he might have been caught off guard and eatten... When my males are doing there dance... they pay no attenction behind them... thats where there most vonerable.

Best of luck.. hope he comes home.

Back
Top Bottom