1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peacock info needed

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by amysue2012, Apr 26, 2009.

1. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Ok so I did a big no no ...got Peacocks before I did alot of research. [​IMG] But they are soooo beautiful and I just love them. [​IMG] I got a male and female at a chicken swap today at a very good price from what Ive seen others go for.

Anyhow I need some experts to step up and tell me every thing I need to know. I want to let them free range but I know they need caged for awhile so they can get use to us. Any ideas how long they should be caged? I plan on trimming their feathers so when I do let them out they wont fly away. The owners said they feed them corn and they often got into the dog food. I was planning on feeding them chicken layer and chicken scratch, they are now a year old so would this feed be ok? And how old are they when they start to mate? When will the female start laying eggs?

Im going to try to get some pics later to post after they get a chance to settle in abit. [​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Welcome to the world of peafowl....................
    I'll try to give you the quick, short info.... He He

Males are peacocks, hens are peahens and chicks- peachicks
    They start to breed normally about 2 years old give or take
    They eat a lot of things, I feed mine turkey grower, layer, catfish pellets, wild bird seed, dog food, fruits & nuts, like cat chow too. They get bored easy, so mix it up...
    I would recommend keeping them contained for 3 weeks or so. Then allow the male out w/ the female contained and switch. Once they know were food etc is they will be more likely to hang around. Their breeding season has just started and runs to about Aug.
    Worming is more necessary for peafowl. I use safe guard liquid goat wormer, 1 cc per 10 lbs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Quote:First off, you did not buy Peacocks. You bought Peafowl. Your male is a peacock and the female is a peahen. As far as letting them out goes, I would not let them free range for about 6 months, mine will not be out until next year, but mine are 2 year olds. I do feed them chicken scratch, but I also give Game Bird feed, mealworms, catfish pellets, greens, fruit and a high protein catfood, something with fish in it. Trimming their wings does not mean you will be able to catch them and they are not great flyers anyway, that is your choice.

They need a coop that is at least 8wx8lx7h, otherwise when turning they will break their tail feathers. As the mating goes, they are usually over 2 years old. So you may not see mating and eggs until sometime next year. Here is a picture of the ones I recently purchased.

[​IMG]

Okay chickenzoo, you beat me to the posting, but I am not deleting or editing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your male looks like mine, except he has a nicer tail. They shipped all 3 of mine in a box and had the peacocks tail taped with duct tape. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  4. amysue2012

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Thank you chickenzoo and countrybum soo much. Do they need 8x8 right away or would 4x4 work for a week or two?

Catfish pellets LOL I had know idea they would eat that (just never thought about it) thats what I feed my Koi.

5. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I never trim the feathers on mine as they free range. How will they get away from foxes and dogs if they cannot fly?

Mine do stay home. I did keep them confined for I think six weeks.

They eat everything. I give bread sometimes, big treat, cheap dog food, corn, main food is game bird feed.

They steal cat food a lot. And they like layer ration.

Peacocks are lovely, sweet birds.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

LOL,
    I forgot - they are great jumpers, even with trimmed wings. If you do clip wings, make sure they are protected. Mine also love Gold fish or cheeze-it crackers, he he.............

countrybum
    They taped his tail w/ duct tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They could have used vet wrap or something...... poor thing.... [​IMG]

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Quote:The guy said it was a non sticky tape and when I opened the box, it was duct tape. [​IMG] Wonder what school he attended. So when my poor guy opens his tail, the girls turn their backs to him. [​IMG] Hope it grows quickly.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I could send you some extra feathers that you could apply to his tail to make him more impressive to the gals................. [​IMG] Tail Extensions, he he

9. amysue2012

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Can anyone post pics of their peafowl coops? I would love to see what everyone else does to house these beautiful birds. I know Im going to have to build something hopefully it does not get to costly. Does peafowl need roosts in the coop or will they just use trees? After a month or so of being confined do I still need to pen them in at night or will they just go in when their ready. Im not very concerned about preditors. We have 5 acres, Ive had free range chickens for two years and never lost any to preditors. I really dont have to worry about neighbors the closest is 1/4mile down the road.

10. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Mine roost in the trees, even in the worst of weather. They CAN go in the coops or the sheds, but generally they don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by