Peacock looks different from sibling?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by chickenzoo, May 27, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

As a peachick I thought was going to be a Midnight female, it stayed looking like it was going more white for awhile. Now it still has barring and looks male, but not having as much blue/green as it's brooder mate.................... what is causing the more white face etc.... they are the same age?

[​IMG]

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    The one up front is a Black Shoulder Male (Midnight ??) Midnight hens will look just like normal B/S hens white with some black markings and you will never be able to tell them apart, The one in the back ground looks to be Purple Pied.

Steve

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

The front top and the front bottom pic came from the same type of Midnight Black shoulder. They are the same age...... Why are they different, the one having a white head still?

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    first peacock is just slower to get his color, this happen even with size of train . at the same age. he does look like he may have a white throat patch.

5. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Please give us more info on the parents, what was the male? was he a split? and what was the hen? was she a split? and any other info would also help, It could be one matured faster then the other, but I'm not for sure. How old are they? they look like they are yearlings am I right ???

Steve

Both are Black Shoulders males.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by