Peacock or Pheasant?

Elzy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
New Zealand Wellington Region.
Some time next year I will hopefully be getting some peacocks or pheasants, but I'm going more towards Peacocks and Peahens :) I know their messy and noisy birds, but I am completely in love with them and can't let it go.
I live on about an acre of land and its a steep hill. I have a natural stream there and can afford food for them. I have considered that they will most likely breed, so I am prepared. The thing that makes me not so certain is that they make a lot of noise, I really just need some advice...

What should I do. Can you please tell me some things you may know or have experienced with these beautiful birds.
And do you recommend peacocks or pheasants?
Please give me some advice, tips, facts, anything.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hello Elzy and
welcome-byc.gif
, the Peacock Department!

I have no experience with pheasants but peas are, in my experience, very wonderful, beautiful, smart, and interesting creatures.
Yes, noisy but not all the time. Messy? That depends on what kind of person you are, I'd guess. If you are an I-like-everything-just-so type of person, you will probably find them messy.

Are you planning to free range your peas?
Because they will not stay on one acre - they are very curious and will wander far afield.
So you would want to be sure they aren't going to get in trouble when they wander - from dogs, unfriendly neighbors, cars, etc.

Thank you :) And I would be free ranging them. But want to raise them from a young age so that they know where they can always come back to. If I raised them from a young age, like a chick, would I be able to teach them where and what times to feed every day?

Do you have neighbors close enough to see any roads or neighbors because it is
unlikely peafowl will stay on just an acre once they get use to their surroundings.

Yes they will come back for food if they don't get scared by dogs or wild critters while out on their walk and go flying off into the wild blue younder
sad.png

Last edited:
Thank you and those pictures were beautiful. I do have neighbours, but the are fences all around my property. There is lots of bushes and forest areas, which I was hoping might keep them staying on my acre. Could I clip one of their wings?

Never clip their wings even when they are in a pen, it is their only way to escape a predator if they are free or get loose, besides they can still hope 6 feet straight up so they can get over a fence real fast.

Back
Top Bottom