Peacock picking..... *grumble, grumble*

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by BantyMom, Sep 5, 2013.

1. BantyMom

BantyMom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Hi there everyone,

I'm up to 7 healthy peachicks now; the three oldest being 9 weeks and 8 weeks old (the youngest is 1 week old). In the attached pictures you can see that their favorite place to sit in the evening is on the control panel (covered) of my treadmill.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, they've been very sweet to each other and they sometimes groom each others' faces (very gently). Tonight, the youngest seemed to get a little too into it and now one of the older ones has a raw spot.
    [​IMG]

The Pick-ee, on the other hand, not only didn't seem to care, but seemed to be enjoying it. I didn't see it because I was on the wrong side. I discovered it when I went to take their weekly pictures.

I have Pick-No-More (worked GREAT to keep our Corgi from chewing herself to pieces in the summer) and was wondering if I can use it on the Peacock.

Thank you for any and all advice you might care to give,
    Bantymom

2. mbbrinegar

mbbrinegar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    NC
    So cute!

3. I don't think pick no more will work on peafowl. They wil continue to pick at the wound until it is very bad. I would put a healthy glob of neosporin/triple anti biotic on it. They will not pick at that.

4. BantyMom

BantyMom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Thank you. I was nervous about putting neosporin on it as I wasn't sure if it would be poisonous to the picker should the nibbling continue, but if it won't hurt him if he does start picking at it again (there has been no further picking so far), I will apply that. However, just to verify, would the Pick-No-More be merely ineffective or would it be actually dangerous?

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Pick no more is made for that use. It may not work but wouldn't be dangerous.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Seven dust works great to stop picking and it covers up the red that will make picking worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by