Peacock Question

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by dragracer, Mar 31, 2009.

1. dragracer

dragracer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I had two peacock's--a father and son--the father passed away. Do peacock's need companions or do they do fine by themselves?

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    They will do fine by thierselves. But most people usually do keep at least a pair of them. But its not a must.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    They are social birds.. but, if you also have chickens or guineas, that will "work" for them too, especially if the son grew up with these.

Usually it is just fine to have one.. especially if kept in a pen and not loose.

However if he is loose and there are other peafowl within hearing range, there is a small chance he may go off and visit them. I often have peafowl belonging to other people coming here for a visit because they hear my own peafowl.

4. dragracer

dragracer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info--it's actually a friend who has them. They found the dad dead after a snow storm sat. She is worried about the son being alone. She has no other birds.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    He might still hang around. Won't hurt to get either a couple young peafowl or chickens/guineas- best to get the latter as chicks, to avoid the chance of bringing adult stock infected with diseases lethal to peafowl. (especially don't get ANY birds from an livestock auction- risk too high)

Females seem to make it far more likely for making a peacock stay around. But not totally necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by