Peacock tail feathers

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Rowanm77, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Rowanm77

Rowanm77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Blairstown, NJ
    A friend of mine has two peacocks that she raised from chicks. They are about a year old and she is afraid she has "defective" peacocks! [​IMG] They are definitely both males and are gorgeous shiny turquoise and like to strut around but their 'tails' are dull brown patterned feathers, kind of like a pheasant. Are these a different variety of peafowl or do peacocks just mature late with the tail feathers with the eyes on them?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    Do they look like this? If so, they are girls....
    Feathersite also says the males don't develop th long tails until they are 3.

3. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    The males do not get trains until they are 2 years old. Sometimes the late hatch chicks dont even get a train until 3 years old. Occasionally you will find a 1 year old male that has 3-5 eyes, but that gene pool is not as common.
    Peacocks give us a lesson in patience!!

4. Rowanm77

Jul 19, 2007
    Blairstown, NJ
    I took a look at the Feathersite and the two she has are Blue India Peacocks (males). I am relieved and will tell my friend her peacocks are not defective! ;)She just needs to wait a little while.[​IMG] Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  5. Rowanm77

Jul 19, 2007
    Blairstown, NJ
    These guys are really cool too! And they are always raiding the cat food bowl.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by