Peacock with raspy breathing and an amputated leg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bird poop, Jan 31, 2017.

1. bird poop

bird poop New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    I rescued this fellow (almost a year of age) who lost its leg when it's previous owner thought it was a good idea to try to straighten its bent leg (due to polio) by tying it with a piece of wood, it's blood circulation must've been restricted so it's leg died and had to be taken off, now it hops around. Also when I took this bird ,it had a fierce lice problem, which i took care of but the problem I'm really worried is that he has had a raspy breathing for nearly a month now , which didn't quite go away, although it's environment is warm and comfortable, I could do with some guidance to help the poor fellow he seems so unhappy and also eats very little for a bird its size

Also , should I let it live or it'll be better off not alive ?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

In addition to the ER link you've been given, you may want to check in with other peafowl members to see what they advise:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/51/peafowl

Trying to decide when it's time to let a bird go can be really tough, it's a call you'll have to make for yourself as people have different views on it. No matter what you decide, it sounds like you've done a lot for him and tried to make him comfortable.

Best of luck to you and thanks for joining us.

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Hope all turns out well with your peacock. [​IMG] Thanks for joining BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with NFC - please do consult with the Peafowl folks.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bird poop [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your peacock [​IMG] I wish him and you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by