Peacock with raspy breathing and an amputated leg

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bird poop, Jan 31, 2017.

1. bird poop

bird poop New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    I rescued this fellow (almost a year of age) who lost its leg when it's previous owner thought it was a good idea to try to straighten its bent leg (due to polio) by tying it with a piece of wood, it's blood circulation must've been restricted so it's leg died and had to be taken off, now it hops around bumping into stuff. Also when I took this bird ,it had an extremely fierce lice problem, which i took care of but the problem I'm really worried is that he has had a raspy breathing for nearly a month now , which was almost finished but it didn't quite go away and now it is back with almost the same force, although it's environment is warm and comfortable, I could do with some guidance to help the poor fellow he seems so unhappy and also eats very little for a bird its size, which could be possibly due to its bad health, so I would be very obliged if someone could guide me to take care of the injured fellow. Scaring him is not a problem now because it knows I'm not much of a threat as it eats easily by hand doesn't get alarmed alot when I approach it

Also , should I let it live or it'll be better off not alive

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Has he been wormed? I would try treating him with tylan 200, not sure of the dose. Once you have treated him, add 2-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar/quart in his water for at least a couple of weeks. And I would add a multi vitamin ( I use vionate) to his food. If he's willing to fight for his life, l believe we owe to him to do what we can to help. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Can you take him to a vet?

4. bird poop

bird poop New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    It's not easy to take it to a vet,as there is only one vet in my area, who I'm personally not a big fan of

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I understand, but it really would be the best thing to do.

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Considering the quality of life ahead of it, I would opt for spending that vet money on a new bird.

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One must look at the quality of life and do the right thing. If he really is having a hard time getting around, then I agree, it might be best to euthanize him.

8. bird poop

bird poop New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Well it does have a hard time getting around and most of the time it just sits in a comfy spot and doesn't move at all, he's learned be not much afraid from humans and eats by hand very happily

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I just had one like that and I decided that it wold be best to euthanize him. [​IMG]

10. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I did too. :( I had a post about a month ago where we did a postmortem on the injured leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by