peacock with swollen eye-UPDATE

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hi

I know this is common, but just curious what anyone thinks. Our peacocks have been fighting regularly since the weather started to warm. I noticed Phoenix acting funny a few days ago, but since they free range It took me a bit to figure out why. He has been hanging out by the house and today I noticed he has a grossly swollen eye. I have no idea if it's injured, or if something else is going on. We think we have MG starting in the flock, and I have ordered med for that, which should be here tomorrow. We are going to put the whole flock on that. Today I gave Phoenix 1/4 tab Ciproflaxin, and a baby aspirin. I need help catching him, which I wont get before tomorrow at the earliest. He will eat the meds out of my hand in a treat. Is that enough Cipro, or should I be giving him more?
I have antibiotic eye gel but obviously I need to catch him before I can use that. Any other suggestions? Could the MG cause this?
Help, please! Oh, and with his full train, I'm just not sure how I'd get him to a vet, even if I was ready to.....

How many mg are the pills, they come in many sizes? Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook says that the dose is 10-20mg/kg (10-20mg per 2.2 pounds) every 12 hours. Cipro is a great drug and will probably work really well!

-Kathy

Last edited:
They are 250 mg. So that's what...62.5 mg per dose if he has a quarter tab? How much do you think an average adult male weighs? I'm guessing maybe ten lbs? He's almost 5 years old.

So, if my math is right (and I'm not good at math)..but I figured...if he weighs ten lbs or thereabouts...1/4 tab, according to the Handbook, should be just about right?

Mine weigh between 4-6kg (9-13 pounds), so I think you're right on target at 1/4 tab twice a day.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Don't quote me on this, but I think treatment would be 5 days and I bet you'll see improvement after just 24 hours.

-Kathy

Oh, good. Do you think we should try to catch him to give him the eyewash and ointment or should he be ok with the cipro alone for a couple days? I'm so worried, he's my fav of the two cocks, he's the beta of the two of them, but he comes to the house and loves to ride on my car if I drive verrry slowly up and down the driveway.....he would like to go faster but I wont.
big_smile.png

Anyway, how important is the eye ointment, do you think? He is very afraid of his brother, who has been taking advantage of the situation.
Bad timing.
sad.png

Oh, good. Do you think we should try to catch him to give him the eyewash and ointment or should he be ok with the cipro alone for a couple days? I'm so worried, he's my fav of the two cocks, he's the beta of the two of them, but he comes to the house and loves to ride on my car if I drive verrry slowly up and down the driveway.....he would like to go faster but I wont.
big_smile.png

Anyway, how important is the eye ointment, do you think? He is very afraid of his brother, who has been taking advantage of the situation.
Bad timing.
sad.png
Car riding pea, cute! I think eye ointment is most effective when given many time throughout the day, so maybe just put it in his eye when you give him his next pill. Cipro is very strong, it's the human version of Baytril, so I'm not sure you need the ointment, but ointment won't hurt as long as just antibiotic, never use ointment with steroids unless directed to by a vet.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom