Peacock won’t go in shelters

Dee83

Chirping
Dec 24, 2022
I have a peacock that is a yr old he is free range but won’t go into a shelter when it rains as it is coming closer to winter I’m worried that he will get sick how do I break his habits and get him back in to a caged shelter

I assume you're in the southern hemisphere if it's coming into winter? I don't know where you are so I don't know what your winter climate is like.

What kind of peacock is he? Greens need winter protection in many climates but IBs are very hardy. They also prefer to roost outdoors. Mine have the choice of 3 large sheds but still choose to roost outdoors. The mature birds have learned somewhat and will go in if it's quite bad but the yearlings will stay out in almost anything. We only herd them in if there's a really bad thunderstorm or extremely severe wind forecast. They are in an aviary, though, and our climate is reasonably mild.

If he's totally free range I don't know how much you can do about it other than provide the shelter and hope he decides to use it. You could try only feeding in the shelter and only feeding him in the evening to encourage him to stay there overnight. Or you could design a shelter that you can lock him in when he comes in to feed and then let him out in the morning. It might take a lot of patience and training. If he always roosts in the same spot and refuses all efforts to encourage him into a shelter, you could always build some sort of simple shelter or wind barrier next to his chosen roost spot.

Also, is he alone? A totally free range peacock may not stick around if you have no peahens.

I learned long ago that it is better to help an animal do what is natural and right for them not what would be right for us. It is written in their DNA to sleep under the stars even in a storm. They are more apt to use a coop during the day than at night. IBs are very well adjusted to weather extremes and need very little from humans other than convenient feed and shelter when they need it.

I assume you're in the southern hemisphere if it's coming into winter? I don't know where you are so I don't know what your winter climate is like.

What kind of peacock is he? Greens need winter protection in many climates but IBs are very hardy. They also prefer to roost outdoors. Mine have the choice of 3 large sheds but still choose to roost outdoors. The mature birds have learned somewhat and will go in if it's quite bad but the yearlings will stay out in almost anything. We only herd them in if there's a really bad thunderstorm or extremely severe wind forecast. They are in an aviary, though, and our climate is reasonably mild.

If he's totally free range I don't know how much you can do about it other than provide the shelter and hope he decides to use it. You could try only feeding in the shelter and only feeding him in the evening to encourage him to stay there overnight. Or you could design a shelter that you can lock him in when he comes in to feed and then let him out in the morning. It might take a lot of patience and training. If he always roosts in the same spot and refuses all efforts to encourage him into a shelter, you could always build some sort of simple shelter or wind barrier next to his chosen roost spot.

Also, is he alone? A totally free range peacock may not stick around if you have no peahens.
He used to roost with the chickens until we got a rooster they all get along extremely well but after a fox attack he chose to roost on the top of our garage
We are Australia nsw so winters are cold
I will try your suggestion of feeding him in the evening in the cage x fingers that works

It depends on your climate. Here I do have to shoo birds inside even if it has been a nicer day in winter because they can go to roost outside and it's a mild evening and by midnight the temperature has dropped 30 degrees and the wind's gusting at 30 mph.

It depends on your climate. Here I do have to shoo birds inside even if it has been a nicer day in winter because they can go to roost outside and it's a mild evening and by midnight the temperature has dropped 30 degrees and the wind's gusting at 30 mph.
That’s exactly what I’m worried about
I’m guessing by your temp comment you go by Fahrenheit?
In winter we go to -5 Celsius and lower with snow so yeah cold enough to be worried

-5*C is 23*F which is nothing to an IB. When it gets down to around -23*C (-10*F) I would be looking to shoo them inside making sure they don't roost on the ground sitting on snow or ice in blizzard conditions will cause frostbite. Cold doesn't hurt them until you mix in the wind and moisture.

-5*C is 23*F which is nothing to an IB. When it gets down to around -23*C (-10*F) I would be looking to shoo them inside making sure they don't roost on the ground sitting on snow or ice in blizzard conditions will cause frostbite. Cold doesn't hurt them until you mix in the wind and moisture.
Oh wow we don’t get anywhere near that cold but the rain and wind is a problem

I have a peacock that is a yr old he is free range but won’t go into a shelter when it rains as it is coming closer to winter I’m worried that he will get sick how do I break his habits and get him back in to a caged shelter
I have a free range peacock as well. Although I live in the south so it’s very HOT. Mine will not roost back in his shelter either. At night time he roosts on top of my chicken pen. When it rains, he hangs out in the greenhouse 🦚

Although I’m saddened as today I came home from work & he’s no where to be found. Has yours ever wondered off for a day or 2 then come home ?

Back
Top Bottom